Help with dedicated lighter weight hunting rig

matt_3479

I've decided my 2021 project will be a dedicated hunting rifle. Caliber isn't in the debate. It will be a wsm on a long action.

I currently have a 300 Norma hunting set up for the longer pokes 600-1000 and would like this to be from 100-600. the Norma comes in fully loaded around 12lbs range but it's big with a 27" barrel plus brake.

what id like to know is what barrel contour would one go with for weight savings. I'd like to hear 1 carbon options, ans 1 stainless option possibly fluted. Ideally I'd love to have this come in at 8lbs give or take but no more then 10 at the absolute most.

rifle will have a tt special. I was thinking like a #5 fluted at 24"s or a #3b area. Stock is not 100% settled but I have a brand new eh1a with minis chassis and mag sitting here so why not use it I guess. action is still in the air but no big deal. Currently have stiller, kelbly, zermatt tl3, defiance deviant, terminus Zeus. Was thinking maybe a KS LAR but we will see. No rush on that.

Last edited:
If I remember right you are in Canada, I would have a good look at the IBI barrels. Not sure on he weight of their carbon wrap but I should have one in my hands the first week of january.

If you already have the EH1A aren't you limited on what barrel contour you can have? From what I remember when I went through this same decision, putting that A on the end of the EH1 added 1/2 pound, adding the mini chassis added some weight also.

rifle will have a tt special. I was thinking like a #5 fluted at 24"s or a #3b area. Stock is not 100% settled but I have a brand new eh1a with minis chassis and mag sitting here so why not use it I guess. action is still in the air but no big deal. Currently have stiller, zermatt tl3, defiance deviant, terminus Zeus. Was thinking maybe a KS LAR but we will see. No rush on that.
I like it
A 3b or fluted #5 will be perfect, no need to waste money on CF.
I recently built a lightweight wsm that's 6.4 lbs with a fluted #5 on a defiance AnTi action.

I recommend a Proof carbon barrel with the light Sendero contour. If you want a fluted stainless, I'd recommend any of the top manufacturers like Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, etc. I would order a sporter contour like a Bartlein 2B fluted. Both the carbon and fluted stainless in these contours will be similar in weight. I recommend a Pierce titanium action if you're looking for light weight. We build a lot of lightweight rifles at Pierce Engineering and the lightest ones come in 5.5lbs and under.

If you already have the EH1A aren't you limited on what barrel contour you can have? From what I remember when I went through this same decision, putting that A on the end of the EH1 added 1/2 pound, adding the mini chassis added some weight also.

the eh1a had a 1.250 straight taper hardy carbon 6.5prc in it. my shooting partner built this rifle and he didn't like the stock and threw a krg whiskey 3 on it so he gave me the manners to me so barrel contour I'm not worried about. Weight I was concerned as it's the adjustable but I figured since it's laying around I'll start with it and go from there. If I need to shave more weight I can sell it and get something different.

The EH1A w. Mini chassis is a fantastic stock. I have one. But, it is almost a 4lb stock. Half of what you want finished weight to be.

Maybe look at an EH1 w. Ultralight cheek piece and go with pillar bedding and an M5 DBM bottom metal instead. Sell the EH1A to fund it maybe?

As for actions, out of what you have on hand, the TL3 or Deviant would be my choice. Nice to have the choices you have.

Barrels, hard to beat a Proof CF Sendero Light for stiffness yet weight is not an issue. But the full Sendero only weighs a couple ounces more, and stiffens it up quite a bit. I have 7 Proofs. All tack drivers. For lighter weight but still stiff enough steel, I like the Bartlein 3b fluted. Have one on a 7RM. Accurate as heck. I think the CFs look/fit better in an EH1 than a lighter contour steel though.

Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see where you go with it.

The EH1A w. Mini chassis is a fantastic stock. I have one. But, it is almost a 4lb stock. Half of what you want finished weight to be.

Maybe look at an EH1 w. Ultralight cheek piece and go with pillar bedding and an M5 DBM bottom metal instead. Sell the EH1A to fund it maybe?

As for actions, out of what you have on hand, the TL3 or Deviant would be my choice. Nice to have the choices you have.

Barrels, hard to beat a Proof CF Sendero Light for stiffness yet weight is not an issue. But the full Sendero only weighs a couple ounces more, and stiffens it up quite a bit. I have 7 Proofs. All tack drivers. For lighter weight but still stiff enough steel, I like the Bartlein 3b fluted. Have one on a 7RM. Accurate as heck. I think the CFs look/fit better in an EH1 than a lighter contour steel though.

Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see where you go with it.

thank you! I appreciate the advice.
You are correct. The eh1a with mini chassis and mag comes in right at 4.2lbs. Doesn't leave a lot of room when a bartlein 3b comes in at 4lbs. I just thought what the heck it's a nice stock and just sitting there. Might have to rethink stocks then.

as for actions those 5 are already in use so a 6th will be needed. Was thinking of the ks cause I want to try something different. For weight savings the anti might be in line though and try the ks action another build.

barrels in Canada are pricey with carbons ranging from 1100-1400 dollars for a blank and is the reason stainless and fluted is more feasible. Other issues are that it's going be a long throated 270. Wsm for the 170's and not everyone offers a fast twist .277 barrel

thank you! I appreciate the advice.
You are correct. The eh1a with mini chassis and mag comes in right at 4.2lbs. Doesn't leave a lot of room when a bartlein 3b comes in at 4lbs. I just thought what the heck it's a nice stock and just sitting there. Might have to rethink stocks then.

as for actions those 5 are already in use so a 6th will be needed. Was thinking of the ks cause I want to try something different. For weight savings the anti might be in line though and try the ks action another build.

barrels in Canada are pricey with carbons ranging from 1100-1400 dollars for a blank and is the reason stainless and fluted is more feasible. Other issues are that it's going be a long throated 270. Wsm for the 170's and not everyone offers a fast twist .277 barrel
If you are buying a new action, the Defiance AnTi should be top on your list for weight savings and a bit of $$ savings. The Lone Peak Fuzion is about the same weight, but at $400-600 higher price. The Kelbly Atlas Tac is one of my favorite actions out, and is cheaper. A bit heavier though. But butter smooth. Look into them.

What was the build?
Its a 7mm wsm
22" 8 twist #5 Benchmark
Trigger tech special
Alterra arms carbon hunter stock (27 oz)
Defiance anTi LA
The most ridiculously accurate rifle I've owned
20201227_211627.jpg

Its a 7mm wsm
22" 8 twist #5 Benchmark
Trigger tech special
Alterra arms carbon hunter stock (27 oz)
Defiance anTi LA
The most ridiculously accurate rifle I've owned
View attachment 236752

wow ans that came in at 6.5lbs? That's impressive! Got some work cut out for me to come in at that weight. I think I'll go with a #5 fluted from another company as bartlein in Canada are hard to find and there's never a .277 in stock so ordering could take months. I will look into the defiance anti more seriously

If you are buying a new action, the Defiance AnTi should be top on your list for weight savings and a bit of $$ savings. The Lone Peak Fuzion is about the same weight, but at $400-600 higher price. The Kelbly Atlas Tac is one of my favorite actions out, and is cheaper. A bit heavier though. But butter smooth. Look into them.
I believe it is, I just like the idea of trying multiple actions so that way I can personally make my own opinion on the long debated topic of "which action is best". I have at least 3 more builds I'd like, and i just picked this one to focus on as I've been talking about it for a few years and would really like to get it done! The anti will be on top of my list but if I can save weight else were in order to try a totally different action then I probably will, like the ks action. Next will be an impact action, and the 3rd I don't know.

I have a kelbly, fantastic action for the money!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.