Help with custom build

Rblosser

I got like lucky and won a $4000 custom build of my choice, I'm looking to do a lightweight mountain rifle with 1000yard capabilities. Thinking about a .338 cal, but need help choosing the components. The list I can choose from is bellow. Thanks for your comments!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 115
Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

- Defiance Machine (Deviant)
- You can't go wrong with any of them ... Lilja is also an excellent choice to add. Not sure of your ultimate light weight mountain rifle goal but you might also want to check on Barrels | Proof Research . IIRC, they make (or at least used to) their own stock too.
- McMillan
- Jewell

Congrats and good luck on your build.

I think you will see a very strong trend to utilize a McMillan stock & Jewell trigger. I also vote for those two. :cool:

I will also second the Defiance Deviant, fantastic action. I'm a little odd when it comes to barrels. The last three builds i've done all wear Obermeyer 5R tubes; those where chose solely due to Boots' reputation & the fact that the most accurate rifle I've ever fired wears an Obermeyer.

I also love my Kreiger, don't get me wrong. But for now, it's Obermeyer.

Defiance
Obermeyer
McMillan
Jewell

t

What's your definition of "lightweight mountain rifle"? I can tell you that what I consider to be a lightweight mountain rifle doesn't really go with a .338 caliber cartridge with 1000 yd capabilities, that combo would be almost unshootable to me because of recoil. You could brake it but that requires hearing protection while hunting which I personally don't want to use. The only barrel maker on that list that's going to make you a stainless barrel in .338 in any contour small enough to keep the weight reasonable is Hart, maybe Benchmark too but I'm not sure if they'll build a lightweight stainless barrel. You could use a chrome moly barrel but I only use stainless, no chrome moly for me. I'm just saying that what you're proposing to build doesn't seem very practical. Everybody says they want a 1000 yd. hunting rifle that weighs 6 lbs. but in reality they don't work very well. Rifles capable of consistent 1000 yd. hits on game are by necessity fairly heavy.

If it were me, I'd focus on something in the 6.5mm or 7mm range. There are plenty of great high B.C. bullets available for that. It'd use the new Defiance machine controlled round feed action, a Jewell trigger, a Mcmillian stock in your choice of patterns with Edge technology, and a Bartlein or Krieger barrel in a contour light enough to make it balance correctly. The barrel would be no longer than 26" and it would not have a brake.

If you want a 1000 yd. 338 then build one, but to build it where it'll be shootable it's going to have to have some mass to it, otherwise you'll just end up with an uncontrollable monster.

For the stock look at the Manners Elite (carbon shell) EH-1. Full size stiff great off bags and lightest full size out there.

Brux or Bartlein in barrels in #4 or 5 at 26 inches

Jewell trigger

I would recommend a magnum 7. 7 LRM or 7 remember mag

Defiance action

A big thank you to all who have responded, I should of said not a bench rest rifle instead of lightweight. I understand a .338 ultra will not be your true lightweight rifle. Im hoping to keep it around 10-11lbs. With that said I believe I will be using -

Action - Defiance Deviant Hunter
Barrel - Benchmark #5 sporter 1-10 twist
Trigger - Jewell
Stock - Manners MCS-EH1

any other comments are most welcome, thanks again

Bartlein is the overwhelming choice when perfection is the goal. If all the others were free, I would still buy a Bartlein. When I get to work with them it's like dessert for gunsmiths.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.