Help with choosing the right rifle scope

Hillbillysanner

gun)Trying to gain info on choosing the right scope for my .338 lapua and would like some advice. First I would like to be able to shoot closer ranges and up and over 1,800 meters. So I would like different opinions on Fixed vs. variable magnification scopes, MOA turrets and ranging reticles, and preferably a first focal plane reticles. Thanks

Well, my friend, that's a tall order.
"Closer ranges" doesn't tell us much. How "close" did you have in mind?
It's a very big stretch from "close" to "up to and over 1800 yards". For up close you might do OK with a modestly priced 9 power scope. For 1800 yards you're looking at a much more expensive proposition.
While you might find a fixed magnification scope suitable for "close" I doubt you'd want one for those longer distances you're considering.
I'd suggest you do some research on scopes and their design. Learn as much about them as you can and when you've got something more definitive in mind post a question that's a bit less difficult to answer.

All about scopes. Part 1. Scope terms and how to choose a scope

Buying a Rifle Scope - What to Consider

How to Choose a Scope

BGFTRST: Riflescope Buyer's Guide and Glossary : Cabela's

Top ten mistakes when buying a scope | Best Riflescope Review | Best Riflescope Reviews

Choosing a Proper Sniper Scope

Long Range Shooting: How To Choose a Rifle Scope, Part 1 - Common Features | The Arms Guide

Well, my friend, that's a tall order.
"Closer ranges" doesn't tell us much. How "close" did you have in mind?
It's a very big stretch from "close" to "up to and over 1800 yards". For up close you might do OK with a modestly priced 9 power scope. For 1800 yards you're looking at a much more expensive proposition.
While you might find a fixed magnification scope suitable for "close" I doubt you'd want one for those longer distances you're considering.
I'd suggest you do some research on scopes and their design. Learn as much about them as you can and when you've got something more definitive in mind post a question that's a bit less difficult to answer.

All about scopes. Part 1. Scope terms and how to choose a scope

Buying a Rifle Scope - What to Consider

How to Choose a Scope

BGFTRST: Riflescope Buyer's Guide and Glossary : Cabela's

Top ten mistakes when buying a scope | Best Riflescope Review | Best Riflescope Reviews

Choosing a Proper Sniper Scope

Long Range Shooting: How To Choose a Rifle Scope, Part 1 - Common Features | The Arms Guide

+1! LRH member Bruce Ventura has a nice guide too >>> High Power Optics

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.