Help With Bullet choice ...

I am setting up my Kimber 8400 in 300 WSM for a WY elk hunt this Nov. I had previously used Hornady 165 IB, but there is just a few of them left. I have one new box of each:
1. Barnes 165 TTSX
2. Berger 168 Classic Hunter
3. Berger 180 Elite Hunter

Just a reminder of the options that the gentleman asked about.........

I am setting up my Kimber 8400 in 300 WSM for a WY elk hunt this Nov. I had previously used Hornady 165 IB, but there is just a few of them left. I have one new box of each:
1. Barnes 165 TTSX

I would like to use this load for potential Moose and African PG as well. Which should I go for? Scarcity of primers, powder, and lack of desire to get kicked in the shoulder 100 times prevent me from playing with all three.

Please share your experience with the above bullets. I am comfortable going out to a max of 600 yards in ideal field conditions.

Thanks.
Berger Classic 168

1. Barnes 165 TTSX

I would like to use this load for potential Moose and African PG as well. Which should I go for? Scarcity of primers, powder, and lack of desire to get kicked in the shoulder 100 times prevent me from playing with all three.

Please share your experience with the above bullets. I am comfortable going out to a max of 600 yards in ideal field conditions.

Thanks.
Sorry, I missed the part about the recoil. I also have a Kimber 8400 Hunter in .30-06 that I have it rechambered to .30 Gibbs. If yours is as light as mine, you will definitely feel the recoil. While I am not recoil sensitive, mine sports a muzzle brake. While it is not for everybody, an effective muzzle brake does two things, reduce felt recoil and reduce muzzle rise. The 205/215 will be a pretty stout recoil without an MB. My .30 Gibbs propel the 190 Berger at 2806 FPS with room to spare and the felt recoil is similar to .308 Win IMHO.

Last edited:
I've taken 6 elk with 168 TTSX bullets and all but one have been enter and exit holes. The only one not exiting was last year on a wounded bull going away shot that penetrated almost 30" before lodging in the offside shoulder bone. Typical wound channel with this bullet is 3 to 6 inch diameter from start to finish. Enough, but not a lot of bloodshot meat.

I'm not telling you what you should use/buy but I'd look at a reloading manual to get my best case scenario criteria for velocity and plug in the bullet of choice at that velocity to see if you like what you see. Running the numbers the Berger 180 is the clear winner at 600. It's doing ~2100 ft/sec at 600 with 1790 ft/lbs. The 165 TTSX is going sub 2k ft/sec and energy is what I'd call lacking. I didn't bother with the 168 classic Hunter because IF nice sturdy animal pops out at 75 yards cup n core + 3200 ft/sec doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Of what you have I'd run the 180 Berger or reign in the max distance and shoot the Barnes.

Personally I'd look at other bullets. I'm sure you could find a box of ~200 gr ELD-X, 200 gr accubond, or Sierra 200 gr gamekings or the like

I guess I should have been more clear. I am handloading with CCI LRM primers, Norma brass, Redding type S bushing, and Forster Micrometer seater. Powders? Hunter, Superformance, and StaBall. I set the neck tension to 2 thou.

Read what Nathan Foster says about the faster 30s at www.ballisticstudies.com.
The monometals penetrate deeper with smaller internal wounding, across the caliber spectrum. I only have experience with TTSX, but lighter than jacketed is the norm for best performance.
If you intend to shoot long range or have lower impact velocities for any reason, I have had better results with softer bullets, non-bonded cup and core, Hawk, Berger, etc. Those applications have led me to several soft Hornady bullets: 165 BTSP in 308, 162 SST in 280ai. I have seen the 95 sst excel in 243 and 150 sst in 308 also. 150 ttsx in 7rem on Kudu, zebra, etc did well; PH requested the remainder of that ammo stay with him.

Thanks. I have read every word in that website - multiple times. I have also had great luck with 150 SST in my 308. I shot an antelope in your neck of the woods (area 23) at 200 yards head on. The entry wound on the chest looked like a massive exit wound!!!

What you mentioned is what I have been struggling with. Controlled, limited expansion with small wound channel Vs rapid expansion with larger would channel.

PM sent.
Just lying around here collecting dust.
I don't use them and could send them if this is enough to get you through image.jpg

Last edited:
IF you are willing to limit your shots to keep impact above 2000 FPS. The Barnes would work.
To reach your 600 yard cap, I would load the 180 Berger.
For the ones you have.

However, 152gr Hammer Hunters would be my primary choice and they are available.
Thanks. I should have asked before ordering the 180 EH. This is first I heard of Hammer. Impressive. Even the Barbourcreek guys like them. Should I go up to the 160 weight class? They also have the Absolute ones - better? Are they trick to load?

Recent Posts