Help With Bullet choice ...

Yes! If you doubt the 215 for hunting, do a quick search on Broz's post on Berger 215/230 and .300 WM real-world successes.
I was not doubting - just making sure there was not a typo.
Spent quite a bit of time in GF with friends who live there. Many April gopher shoots with 22lr out to 200+ yards.

Thanks. I should have asked before ordering the 180 EH. This is first I heard of Hammer. Impressive. Even the Barbourcreek guys like them. Should I go up to the 160 weight class? They also have the Absolute ones - better? Are they trick to load?

If you want a high BC monos, check out the 175 Badlands precision Bulldozer2 or 178 Cayugas from PVA.

Thanks. I should have asked before ordering the 180 EH. This is first I heard of Hammer. Impressive. Even the Barbourcreek guys like them. Should I go up to the 160 weight class? They also have the Absolute ones - better? Are they trick to load?
Others run the 162 Absolute around 3,300 fps and they are in stock. See previous post #3
"
I run the 181 Hammer Hunter ~2,950 fps out of a 20" barrel with H4350 but you might check out some of the Absolute Hammers for their increased speed. The Hammers have had several trips to Africa and bagged tons of animals. Check out their forum and load data for the Absolute; 178 grain @~3,150 fps or a 162 grain at 3,300 fps.
They are among the easiest bullets to load for, see the spread sheet on post #2"

I used a Barnes 180 gr TSX on my elk last year and it went through the chest smashing the off shoulder and when I skinned it the bullet fell out exhibiting a perfect mushroom. Would not hesitate to use them again. Oh BTW this was shot out of a 30-06.

Really not much left to add to this conversation. Your shot placement matters. If you like to take out the landing gear, choose a mono. If you like lungs and softer tissue, take a Berger.
If shot placement trumps everything, get a Berger or hammer. Both are very accurate.
I shot my avatar bull with a 215 Berger thru the lungs...he was dead before I could load another round. Check the tips of the bergers,if you choose to use them.

I've taken 6 elk with 168 TTSX bullets and all but one have been enter and exit holes. The only one not exiting was last year on a wounded bull going away shot that penetrated almost 30" before lodging in the offside shoulder bone. Typical wound channel with this bullet is 3 to 6 inch diameter from start to finish. Enough, but not a lot of bloodshot meat.

ive had similar results with the Barnes 168
TSX Match out of my 308 They flat out work.

that being said, out of the options the op gave. I'd probably run the Berger 180's. If I was going to run a solid, it'd probably be a Badlands or a Hammer before the Barnes but Tri won't go wrong wi try any of your options.

I have used the 168 TTSX in my 300WSM with good success as well but I'm also a fan of Hammers. I have a premium limited entry elk tag in two weeks and I will be using the 177g Hammer Hunter in my 28 Nosler.
Good luck in Wyoming! Good elk tags don't come very often for most of us.

I have used the 168 TTSX in my 300WSM with good success as well but I'm also a fan of Hammers. I have a premium limited entry elk tag in two weeks and I will be using the 177g Hammer Hunter in my 28 Nosler.
Good luck in Wyoming! Good elk tags don't come very often for most of us.
Thanks. Nice sheep.

Thanks bachekermoon, We just got back from my son's Wy Rocky hunt. His is even better than mine. image000003.jpg
Thanks. Nice sheep.

He used my 28 Nosler shooting the 177g Hammer Hunter. One shot at 480 yds. The Hammer worked totally as advertised.
The hunt was extremely physical (about killed me) Very few sheep spotted. We were two days horse ride into the back country with an outfitter when we found this ancient 12 year old 170" ram. It was another incredible adventure with my son.

Last edited:

Recent Posts