Help with barrel length and caliber

Tmarsh38

Just purchased a Tikka to toss a 18-20" barrel on for a suppressed hunting rifle. I originally had planned to go with 6.5prc, but now can't pull the trigger on it. The main use for the rifle will be blacktail/mule deer, and cougar or bear if seen. I don't plan to use it for elk as I have a 300wsm that I use, but would be nice to have the option as a backup. Not really anything past 600 yards. Probably thinking keeping it in a .264, .270, .284. Not limited to factory ammo.

Any suggestions?

I love the 7 SAUM and think it would be a solid choice. My 7 SAUM has a 26" barrel but I'm currently putting together a 20" 7 Sherman Short which is based on the SAUM with the shoulder pushed back and shoulder angle at 40* and a little less taper in the case

Just purchased a Tikka to toss a 18-20" barrel on for a suppressed hunting rifle. I originally had planned to go with 6.5prc, but now can't pull the trigger on it. The main use for the rifle will be blacktail/mule deer, and cougar or bear if seen. I don't plan to use it for elk as I have a 300wsm that I use, but would be nice to have the option as a backup. Not really anything past 600 yards. Probably thinking keeping it in a .264, .270, .284. Not limited to factory ammo.

Any suggestions?
I just screwed a 16" 6.5 saum barrel on my Tikka.
140s at 2850 with H1000.
Haven't played with it too much cuz the reamer was out of spec and its headed back for a rechamber job.

I have a 7wsm built on a long action, getting 2900 with 195's from a 22" barrel.
Id go with a 7wsm or saum over the 6.5
I feel the 7mm is more versatile, you'll get better velocity in a short barrel running 160 class bullets than a 6.5 pushing 140's

I run a 20" 6.5SS suppressed. 156 Elite @ 2976 or 144 LR Hyb @ 3088. Plenty for deer, elk, bear, coyotes, pronghorn...
Brass is almost always available (unlike the PRC), and better speeds than a PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.