Help with BAR

chad

I just bought a 7mag in a BAR. I have never reloaded for an automatic, how do you guys check for pressure with the near max or max loads with autos?
does it still leave the marks on the brass as in bolt guns?

I'll help you out with a free bump. The BAR uses a gas operated piston w/ a rotating bolt. So it's not extremely different then a 416 or some other AR platforms. In the case of reloading, the signs will be similar especially with the gas system. I'm not sure if your particular one is the new style adjustable gas valve or the older fixed one.

I own a Bar in 270 win. I load for them just like I would any other rifle. The load I'm using is a 130 Sierra game king and 55.0 grains of imr4350 which is the max load in Sierra book. Not showing any pressure signs at all and cycles perfect. Just inspect your brass as you go. Often times you will see accuracy nodes at max recommend load data.

Mine is built in 91, just curious if it's a hot load if I'll see plunger marks the same as a bolt gun. I don't want it to hot to be slamming the bolt and ruining the buffer. I'm not wanting a hot rod load, just going to try to get the best accuracies I can

I have a bar 280, I'm going to reload soon. I got to say for a semi auto it's very accurate with 140 grain factory ammo.
Can't to see what I can get out of it.

I just bought a 7mag in a BAR. I have never reloaded for an automatic, how do you guys check for pressure with the near max or max loads with autos?
does it still leave the marks on the brass as in bolt guns?
Not sure what you mean by marks on the brass. Yes it will leave chamber marks as any other type of rifle does. You can load a Bar 2 to any pressure level as a bolt. I feel that the BAR's are far superior in accuracy then any "Black Rifle". Down -side of Bar's are the "clank" when charging the chamber. Never try to charge the chamber by just pulling back on charging lever.. Always charge by bolt release disengage lever or their is a possibility of jam. Other draw back is heavy trigger pull not unless they fixed that on the BAR- 3's. Can shoot 1 MOA all day long. Being gas operated the BAR,s are at least 1/3 less recoil compared to bolt's. Great rifles.

One thing I've noticed with mine is when it ejected a shell it flattens one side. Never have been able to figure it out. I bought it in 1987, I still have receipt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.