Help with a scope choice cause im runnin outa time

MTNRaine

I know ive asked u guys lots of times about scopes. but as i start comin towards my senior year in highschool i gotta start savin money 4 college so my window 4 buyin a scope is closin...:(So that said i need everyones advice on a scope under 1000.. 800 is better... it can be USED or new.. i would really like to hav a Mk 4 4.5-14 or Nightforce but i dont have the money unless u got a used 1 ur willin to spare:rolleyes: low end what would u go with... burris Blk diamond... bushnell 4200 or 6500... luepy Vx III or a nikon monarch X...I need somethin that i can get tactical knobs an parallex adjustment an that tracks extremely well. an that can get me 2 1000 or 1200yds. all advice is needed also let me know if i need more power but iwas thinkin 4-16 again i really need ur help!! Thanx

Watch the optics sponsors on here.

THey run all kinds of specials. One has demo's etc.

As Adam32 said, a Zeiss 6.5-20X50 with side focus and target knobs can be had at a very reasonable cost. Plus it will have the life time warranty.

Most any reticule (just learned I've been spelling that word wrong for months:rolleyes:) can be had and they'll change them at rreasonable cost and reasonable time.

The 36 MOA elevation adjustment isn't a problem unless you're shooting rainbows or distances beyond 2k w/a flat shooter. IMO.

I spent hours behind each of the top/popular brands and found the most economical to be the Zeiss and with out any compromises.

You need about 80 MOa of total adjustment on average without a canted base, and about 65 MOA with a canted base, to reach 1000 yards with a 308. More is needed to reach 1200.

The Monarch X, while not the tactical they used to be, is a viable choice with the features you desire. the 4-16x50 mildot can be had for $839

the fact is, for the features you want, your chices are limited for the budget. The Bushnell elite 4200 6-24 tac is your aother option.

Scott

Thanx Scott. ill think about that. i also said i be willin to listen if anybody had something used they were willin 2 sell

Last edited:
Decision

Well i've finally made up my mind i think im goin with the zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with knobs. im shooting a 7mm ultra mag. with a canted base will i b able 2 reach 1200yds? An ur sure the scope wont let me down?
Thanx for ur help guys

Depending on a ton of variables, if you use the proper long range load for that caliber, you will need an estimated 38MOA to get to 1200 yards. The scope has 45 MOA. A rough guide is that a zero cant base with a low mounted scope takes away about 10 MOA from your centered reticle, in this case 22.5 MOA up and down from center. So with a canted (20 MOA base), you might get 32-33 MOA while still retaining the ability for a 100 yard zero (which may not be important to you). So I'm betting you will run out of adjustment, especially considering that you will likely not be dead nuts centered on windage out of the box.

It's a good scope, but not made for 1200 yards with that 1-inch tube.

Scott

WHOOPS you said 7mm ULtra Mag not 7mm RM. So Swift Scirocco 150 needs 29 MOA, but you are cutting it CLOSE.

Scott the smallest bullets i plan to use is like a 175 SMK or SGK ill hopefully use the berger 180 or wildcat bullets 180-200gr wats ur estimate on how much roomi hav b 4 i run out of elevation?
Thanx
Cameron
Oh i drew a bull tag 4 elk! how bout u, any luck?

Scott the smallest bullets i plan to use is like a 175 SMK or SGK ill hopefully use the berger 180 or wildcat bullets 180-200gr wats ur estimate on how much roomi hav b 4 i run out of elevation?
Thanx
Cameron
Oh i drew a bull tag 4 elk! how bout u, any luck?

Even if you push the 180 grain VLD Match ot THICK to 2900 FPS you'll be right on the edge. (32-33 MOA)

I would just get the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with BDC. Glass on par with the Conquest, but with a 30mm tube for 68MOA, and less money to boot, and vastly superior to the TRS-1.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.