Help with a REM 721 firing pin spring

There is no reason that the way you have the spring compressed that it shouldn't work doesn't matter how it's compressed you just need the pin Exposed so you can drive it out but some are in there pretty good so it might take a pretty good whack with a punch and hammer to get it to move especially on an older gun just make sure you have it supported good and a place for the pin to go and like was said before some will drive out easer on way or the other so try both ways if it won't budge an yes the right tools might make it easier but not necessary for this job good luck

There is no reason that the way you have the spring compressed that it shouldn't work doesn't matter how it's compressed you just need the pin Exposed so you can drive it out but some are in there pretty good so it might take a pretty good whack with a punch and hammer to get it to move especially on an older gun just make sure you have it supported good and a place for the pin to go and like was said before some will drive out easer on way or the other so try both ways if it won't budge an yes the right tools might make it easier but not necessary for this job good luck
I agree completely, I had the pin exposed, but I broke one punch and bent another one! I yelled uncle and took it to a gunsmith this afternoon. "A man's gotta know his limitations"!

Curious, In picture 1, how did u get the cocking piece to stick out of the bolt shroud far enough to expose the pin?

I have my Dad's 1953 M721 in .270 and I installed a Gretan firing pin and spring. I works great, especially after disassembling the bolt and completing a thorough cleaning.

Her is the right tool for the job of removing the firing pin cocking piece.

This tool also aids in support of the firing pin upon cross pin removal, you just need to support it with some type of small anvil or v block.

If the cross pin is tight, you can use a pistol sight adjustment tool to push it out. Otherwise a little heat helps, just make sure you use a premium steel punch like a starret, and support the removal tool with an anvil/ v block.

My two-cents worth. To replace the firing pin spring you have to (1) remove the entire firing spring assembly, unscrew it from the bolt, (2) next compress the firing pin spring to allow access to the pin that holds the firing pin to the firing pin assemble, it takes some compression to get access to that pin, (3) drive that pin out of the firing pin assemble and firing pin. I "strongly" suggest (unless you are Superman) that you purchase a firing pin spring compressing tool. There's a company that sells them called "Shims" for $43, it is designed to fit the Remington 700s and the Ruger 77s; I've provided the link at the end of this reply. I would next go to Gunsprings and purchase a Wollf replacement spring; I provided this link also. The entire replacement job ought to cost are $65-70. I have dealt with both of these companies to replace the firing pin springs on just about every on of my Ruger 77s, all of Wolff springs are top shelve as well as the firing pin compression tool sold by Shims. It is a smart idea to replace the firing pin in the Remington 721. Many hunter do not realize that the firing pin springs to lose their integrity. I went hunting one year with my son, and......both rifles developed a FTF problem at the same time. We thought that we had an ammo problem, I reload and thought we had some hard-anvil primers. Fortunately we had extra back-up rifles that we were able to hunt with. What is the likelihood that both springs would go at the same time. It wasn't until I read here on this forum that Ruger 77, tang safety rifles have a firing pin spring problem. I replace the springs with 24 pound Wolff springs never any issues with any of my Ruger 77s. I cannot emphasize who important getting a firing pin spring compression tool is to swap out the springs. Good luck with your project.

www.gunsprings.com

My two-cents worth. To replace the firing pin spring you have to (1) remove the entire firing spring assembly, unscrew it from the bolt, (2) next compress the firing pin spring to allow access to the pin that holds the firing pin to the firing pin assemble, it takes some compression to get access to that pin, (3) drive that pin out of the firing pin assemble and firing pin. I "strongly" suggest (unless you are Superman) that you purchase a firing pin spring compressing tool. There's a company that sells them called "Shims" for $43, it is designed to fit the Remington 700s and the Ruger 77s; I've provided the link at the end of this reply. I would next go to Gunsprings and purchase a Wollf replacement spring; I provided this link also. The entire replacement job ought to cost are $65-70. I have dealt with both of these companies to replace the firing pin springs on just about every on of my Ruger 77s, all of Wolff springs are top shelve as well as the firing pin compression tool sold by Shims. It is a smart idea to replace the firing pin in the Remington 721. Many hunter do not realize that the firing pin springs to lose their integrity. I went hunting one year with my son, and......both rifles developed a FTF problem at the same time. We thought that we had an ammo problem, I reload and thought we had some hard-anvil primers. Fortunately we had extra back-up rifles that we were able to hunt with. What is the likelihood that both springs would go at the same time. It wasn't until I read here on this forum that Ruger 77, tang safety rifles have a firing pin spring problem. I replace the springs with 24 pound Wolff springs never any issues with any of my Ruger 77s. I cannot emphasize who important getting a firing pin spring compression tool is to swap out the springs. Good luck with your project.

www.gunsprings.com
Thanks, I did buy the factory spec 24# spring from Brownell's, so it should work. I did drop off the pin and bolt at my gunsmith's, just to be safe.

Hi all, I recently inherited my father's 1952 Remington 721, in .270. I actually did some load development and it's shooting Nosler BT 140 gn sub .500 moa. My goal is to have my grandkids, his great-grandkids, use this for their deer rifle.

Although it shoots fine, I thought I would put a new spring in the bolt, being the original is 70 years old. I bought the spring from Brownell's, and watched some videos on how to replace the spring. The steps look fairly easy but I can't get the pin out. I haven't used a lot of hammer force but it certainly isn't just tapping out. Any thoughts before I turn to an expert? Thanks in advance!
your best bed with Remingtons that old is to understand one thing, back then they normally made the pins to not come out easily. you will have to take a small hammer and a small pin punch to extract it from the assembly. I have owned more than a few 721/722/725's the same thing applied to all of them. when its out make sure you chamfer both ends or at least one end before you put it back in. or you can take it to a gunsmith and he can have it done in 10 minutes. if he knows what he is doing.

Thanks, I did buy the factory spec 24# spring from Brownell's, so it should work. I did drop off the pin and bolt at my gunsmith's, just to be safe.

Good that ought to work quite well for you. Just would like to thank you for acknowledging that you "actually" read this reply. I have seen so many times where guys will put a lot of effort into a reply to help someone out with an issue, only to find that the OP never even read the reply, or......never even acknowledged with a "like" or a comment that they got the reply. I just answered an OP about a guy have some load problems, provided him with links to get what he needed to fix the problem, only to find this guy asking others where to get what he needed. Thank you again. You taught me something about the Remington springs, I didn't realize that they were 24lb springs, that's the upgraded spring pressure for the Ruger 77s. Good luck with the conversion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.