HELP with a new Varmit Build!!!

Dust270WSM

I am trying to figure what cailber would be the best for what I am looking for. I want to be able to shoot 55 grain bullets at 3800fps or faster. I had a 220 Swift that I absolutly loved. It would push 55 grain Noslers at 3825fps.

So what would y'all reccommend? 220 Swift...22-250AI...243...6mm something...ect...ect..???

My varmint rifle is a 25-06 and the groundhog isn't going to be able to tell you if the bullet was going 3400 fps. or 3800 fps. :D
The more fps. the shorter the barrel life.
Tarey

If it's true that Lapua is going to start making 22-250 brass I would think a 22-250 AI would fit the bill nicely along with awesome brass life.

IMO I would have it fitted with a 1-10 twist so if you ever did want to shoot heavier bullets it would give you a much greater range of bullets.

Lapua is MOST DEFINATELY making 22-250 brass. Stop on by our both at the SHOT Show in a couple weeks (if you can make it to Vegas about then!) and I'll be happy to show you some. The brass is also now coming in a plastic box (Lapua blue, of course) that converts to a 50-rd ammo carrier. No need to buy an aftermarket ammo box, which you might say offsets the price a bit. I've played with this, and our new 308 Win Palma (small primer pocket) Match brass, and its beautiful stuff.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

You can't go wrong with the Swift, I love mine. If you want somerthing different, try the 6mm AI. It is wicked...fast, accurate, and explosive with varmint bullets!

20 BR will come close to that with 55 grain Bergers, 3600 fps probably, and the BC will make it shoot much flatter than the others past a couple hundred yards.

My two bits ain't worth much but it don't cost much either. For the past 45 years I have owned a lot of guns, reloaded for them, and shot a few. Now I am 65 years old and don't see as well. But I'd like to say that one can not go wrong staying with the normal factory cartridges like a 223 22-250 243 6MM 270 308, etc.

I never buy commercial loaded ammo, but I do find that there are a lot of hulls laying around for free in these calibers. In my humble opinion up to 500 yards these do me well.

What I've seen over the years is a lot of guys come to my shooting house with these wild ideas or stories about some new cartridge they read about. Many of these same folks buy the gun for bragging rights. I like to load and shoot if it is only a bb gun . For varmint only I'd have to choose a 22-250 or 243.

I am trying to figure what cailber would be the best for what I am looking for. I want to be able to shoot 55 grain bullets at 3800fps or faster. I had a 220 Swift that I absolutly loved. It would push 55 grain Noslers at 3825fps.

So what would y'all reccommend? 220 Swift...22-250AI...243...6mm something...ect...ect..???
243 58 v-max 3950

243 55gr nosler ct's going a shade over 4000 1" group at a 100 it gets tighter if I slow them down a bit but I like the trajectory and the statement of 4000 fps.

20 BR will come close to that with 55 grain Bergers, 3600 fps probably, and the BC will make it shoot much flatter than the others past a couple hundred yards.

+1 A 20BR will get the 55gr Bergers closer to 3700FPS and with a .381 BC. A .20 cal 40gr Vmax has a higher BC than the 55gr BT in .22 and you can send the .20 down range at over 4000FPS.

Once you try a High Power .20 for varmints you won't go back. I compete side by side with my buddy's shooting 22-250' and 22-250 AI's all day long with my 20 Practical and a 40gr Vmax @ 3900 FPS.

Heck it even hangs with my 6mm-06 shooting 70gr Nosler BT's @ 3700+ FPS (modest, have not run through the crono yet, my smith says it should be closer to 3800-3900)

.20 cals also have less recoil allowing you to see the hits, although I would put a mini break on a .20BR to make sure the RED MIST was in full effect through my glass, THAT is what makes PD shooting so much fun.

Jon

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.