help with a new caliber

The 34 inch barrel is a straight taper 1.450 fluted barrel. My thinking behind that was since I was building a barrel burner, I would just keep cuting the barrel off and rechambering it. The barrel has ben set back 2 times now and rechambered. Your right it wasnt the smartest move in the world, but this was my first custom rifle built for ground hogs. I later started shooting it in 600yard hevy gun benchrest compitions.

Actually I kinda think you were smart to go long as I see your point about re-chambering...seems to me to be a good idea. Thanks for responding.

Don't mean to get off topic but how many times can you set one back before the rifling starts to wear out down the barrel? How many rounds did you get before each set back?

My 6X284 barrel was put on bran new. I shot 1400 rounds through it. I set it back and shot 1300 rounds though it again, with awesome accuracy. I am now on my second set back with 500 rounds through the tube accuracy is still very good. This is my only expirence setting back barrels. It is only one barrel. I do not know how many times you can set it back but it still shoots like a brand new barrel. Maybe some one with more expierence than me can answer it but this is my only expierence. My smith has a bore scope and examines the groves and lands every time he sets it back. I will try and get ahold of him tomorrow and ask his expirence.

I guess I have the same question but I'm looking to kill slightly bigger varmints. I'm looking for the lightest kicking long range whitetail round. This would strictly be for whitetail no Elk, Muley, or grizzley rounds.
It's my first true long range gun and I want to start with the little brother then complement it with a 338 edge in the future when I go even longer and bigger game.

So what would you say max distance would be with the 6x284 vs the 6.5x .284?

I guess I have the same question but I'm looking to kill slightly bigger varmints. I'm looking for the lightest kicking long range whitetail round. This would strictly be for whitetail no Elk, Muley, or grizzley rounds.
It's my first true long range gun and I want to start with the little brother then complement it with a 338 edge in the future when I go even longer and bigger game.

So what would you say max distance would be with the 6x284 vs the 6.5x .284?

I would say to me, 600 yds would be about my safe range with given velocities. I am quite sure that you could go more, but that is where I would start to question the abilities of my round on a whitetail. Maybe some of the more experienced LR hunters will weigh in on this one. I would say start a mew thread to make sure that your questions stand the best chances to be seen and answered properly.

I have never shot a big game animal with a 6mm or 6.5 just ground hogs. I watched the Best of the West video. They have a sceen where they killed a nice bull elk over 1000 yards with the 6.5

Here is a link i hope you find it as useful as I did.
Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: Long Range Shooting and Hunting: Page 1

At Thunder Valley rifle range I have shot my 6-284 in calm conditions out to a mile with great success. I was just shooting steel.

According to the sierra program the 6.5 142smk at 3000fps has 1047lbs of energy at 800 yards
The 6-284 at 3400 fps at 800yards has 1021lbs of energy at 800 yards. Both calibers have enough energy to successfully take a white tail deer at 800 yards with a well placed shot.

The difference is the 6.5 drops 18,7 MOA
The 6mm drops 13.3 MOA both at 800 yards

Your recoil will definately be less with the 6-284 because of the lighter bullets.

another thought is that if you ever get in a pinch you can buy 6.5X284 rounds over the counter. You cant buy the 6X284 over the counter.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.