Help with a gunsmith.

Smileguy

Shipped over $4K in components to a fairly well known gunsmith outside of Pittsburgh. He's had some health issues, but has not responded to email/vm/text for months. What recourse do I have? Any advice other than showing up in person? Thanks.

I had a similar thing happened to me, but with pistols. I called the local sheriff and had them send someone out to inquire. Essentially, I told him that I had not heard from him after repeated phone calls and emails. I received my pistols back within one week. He did call me back and told me that his wife had had a heart attack and he had been helping her. I told him I understand but it shouldn't take months to call back or at least put an out of office message on your phone.

That is a terrible feeling, i've been there too. Dude was going thru a divorce, custody battle & some other stuff I won't mention. Wouldn't return calls or texts for a couple months. I finally had to leave a VM about sending the law to collect my things. Remarkably, it wasn't but a few days later I get a call about my rifle being done.... odd....

Of course, it cost me quite a bit more to have another smith umm... basically rebuild it, but at that point I was through with the other dude & just chalked it up as experience.

I really hope you get your equipment back in a timely fashion.

t

I've been there as well. Calling the Sheriff and letting the guy know I'd done so was the only thing that got a response and my complete set of components, after 3 months of no response, following the first month of delays with communication maintained. Threats to call the Sheriff didn't work.

Thanks for the replies. Sent the certified letter and made calls to the local authorities.

Best of luck man, honestly.

I do have to ask, being in Denver.... there are a LOT of excellent 'smiths a lot closer than Pittsburgh. Any specific reason you took that route?

t

I had used Greg Tannell for a 28N build in 2017 and was very happy. In early 2019, he was slammed and wasn't taking new work. Greg gave me the reference for a quicker turn around, so I reached out and felt pretty comfortable with it.
Well, that was 3 yrs ago…