Help with a gunsmith.

I had used Greg Tannell for a 28N build in 2017 and was very happy. In early 2019, he was slammed and wasn't taking new work. Greg gave me the reference for a quicker turn around, so I reached out and felt pretty comfortable with it.
Well, that was 3 yrs ago…

Based on you post ^^^^^^, I'd give Greg a call and ask if he knows anything. It sure couldn't hurt.

Happy Holidays to All!
Saw this story all too much on LRH and other Forums.
Maybe do some research on the Gun Smith and get some kind of written documented information before sending components to be worked on.
Documentation is only as good as the paper it is written on, but at least you have something with agreed completion dates and Costs $$$.
I always gave out a written contract for any work and agreed expectations.
This doesn't help the OP much but may help other hunters/shooters getting wotk done by someone.

I would contact that Gun Smith and also contact the ATF. The GS could have their FFL revoked. So that would be a THREAT to get your components back.
Sorry to hear this.

I had this happen 20 years ago to me, same story line. He had my receiver and I reported it lost/stolen with ATF maybe after 9 months. of trying to contact him.
Got it back about 2mo later. He had passed away and his sons had it.
If he has a reciever or any part that is serialized and its already in your name i wouldn't leave it out in the ether like that.

Thank you all for the responses. I contacted the ATF and local PD and sent him a text message explaining my position….
Lo and behold, he called and explained the situation. I'm just waiting on a tracking number now after he takes it all to UPS.

that was quick..

Thank you all for the responses. I contacted the ATF and local PD and sent him a text message explaining my position….
Lo and behold, he called and explained the situation. I'm just waiting on a tracking number now after he takes it all to UPS.

It's a shame that he didn't do that over the last couple of years, and that he ignored all of your communications. He'd be hard pressed to justify that.

I'm too jaded these days to even believe family death excuses. When a guy drags something out for years, of course there will be deaths in ones life.

I have a commercial tenant right now that claimed he was grieving and didn't have money to pay his rent because he was burying his father. However, one of his former friends (another tenant, who he also burned) said his dad had died years ago. Sure enough, found the obituary from 2017. Half of me wants to believe he had a stepfather he was grieving... the other half knows the guy is just a dirtbag with no morality.

Absolutely. Laundry list of excuses including family deaths, health issues, Covid, marital problems/divorce, etc. I wasn't very sympathetic.

None of that justifies his refusal to even answer your inquiries, and that's if any of it is true. The epicenter of Covid was here in the greater metro area of NY. Literally 1,000 people were dying every day. We lost family and friends. I've got age related health issue like most seniors. I continued to work, took care of my family and met my commitments even when the whole family had covid. The guy is just full of excuses, IMO.

I'm glad that you're at least getting out of this without a total loss. Good luck with your build.

Absolutely. Laundry list of excuses including family deaths, health issues, Covid, marital problems/divorce, etc. I wasn't very sympathetic.

I don't buy it. Man, that sounds almost exactly like the excuses I received from the dude I had to threaten with law enforcement action; but he's in North or South Carolina now, must not be the same guy 😅

@Smileguy Keep us in the loop, if you don't mind. I'd like to know that you did in fact, receive your property.

t