Help with a 1 in 14 22-250

rosborohunter

I just purchased a box of Barnes TSX 45 grain bullets for my 22-250. My barrel has a 1 in 14 twist. Has anyone had success with this bullet out of a similar barrel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well I never shot any barns out of my 22-250 but I have a tikka that shoots lights out with 55gr hornedy v max over 34.75gr of varget

I don't normally use bullets that light in my 22-250. I've gotten very good results with 55gr and 53gr Vmax with H380, Varget, and Ramshot Biggame. I have a 1 in 14 twist also

I don't normally use bullets that light in my 22-250. I've gotten very good results with 55gr and 53gr Vmax with H380, Varget, and Ramshot Biggame. I have a 1 in 14 twist also

55gr Vmax here also. Im using Varget powder and the old heavy barreled rifle is shooting tight groups

I am currently shooting varget behind 50 grain hornadys with mediocre results. I am encouraged at the number of you who are shooting 55 grain bullets. I wanted more of a controlled expansion bullet and the heavier TSX is not recommended for a 1 in 14 bullet. I have loaded the 60 grain partition but could not stabilize it. That is why I chose the 45 TSX.

You might want to look at 55gr hornady with a canular. It's tougher than it needs to be which is why I stopped using it, it didn't give me the red mist on gophers. I was loading it with 41gr(if memory serves) H380, and a CCI250(the only primer that would produce good groups for me). The cases didn't seem to matter all that much. the bonus is it's a really cheap bullet hat shoots fairly well.

I did try a box of these a few years back. I couldn't find my data, but I used Varget powder. I know I got over 4000fps with about 1moa for my best load. This gun shoots most bullets at .5 moa or better so accuracy was only fair. I tried them in case someone ever wanted to use my 22-250 for antelope or deer. I have since scrapped the idea (my 25-06 is a whole lot better option) so I probably tossed my data. Hope this is a little helpful. What is your intended purpose?

Short range white tail hunting for my kids. I loaded a few today with 37.5 grains of Varget coming in at a little over 3900 fps. shot a couple at 50 yds into one hole. Looks promising. I will continue to work on these.
Here is another question: I seated the bullets to where both gaps in the bullet were in the brass. This put the coal at 2.30. The reloading manuals say coal should be 2.35 and I have two different loads with a coal up to 2.39. Does everyone load the Barnes bullets this way?
By the way, I also loaded some 50 gr V Maxes with 36.5 gr of Varget. Shot three into one hole.

I am a rookie at reloading. I have learned all I know from my Father-In-Law. Just thought I would say that so it might explain why I say what I am about to. Probably everyone on the site knows more about reloading than I do and probably have been doing this for years.
My Father-In-Law bought me a Lee crimping die for my 250 and .270 Win. I crimped both of these loads that I loaded today. It drastically improved my V Max loads. Just thought I would say that.

I shoot the TSX from my .300 WSM and .223 as well as the TTSX from my .308. With the 45 grain TSX in the .223, I use a light collet crimp as well and it helps a lot. One thin that may help your accuracy is the TSX family seems to prefer .030 to .070 inch off the lands. Once you get your powder charge worked up while seated .050 off the lands, play with seeting depth in .010 increments to tune it in. My .223 is more service grade than accuracy so I was happy with 1 inch at 100 yards. My .308 and .300 WSM however shoot much tighter. It's fun showing TSX haters a 5 shot group tighter than a three shot group from their "super sweet handloads" lol. As for how to seet them, ignore the driving bands and seat to your rifles preference.

I shoot the TSX from my .300 WSM and .223 as well as the TTSX from my .308. With the 45 grain TSX in the .223, I use a light collet crimp as well and it helps a lot. One thin that may help your accuracy is the TSX family seems to prefer .030 to .070 inch off the lands. Once you get your powder charge worked up while seated .050 off the lands, play with seeting depth in .010 increments to tune it in. My .223 is more service grade than accuracy so I was happy with 1 inch at 100 yards. My .308 and .300 WSM however shoot much tighter. It's fun showing TSX haters a 5 shot group tighter than a three shot group from their "super sweet handloads" lol. As for how to seet them, ignore the driving bands and seat to your rifles preference.

Great post. By seating past the last ring, I'm well over .050 off the lands. I still have some work to do with this load. I just quickly loaded a few to get an idea of what to expect. I'll keep you posted with what I finally come up with
I didn't know there were any TSX haters

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.