help with 7mm ultra mag loads?

boyce

First, yes I have searched and read everything I can on loading for the 7mm ultra. I have a new to me model 700lss coming in this or next week and this will be my first venture into the magnums. My longrange plan is to have a 270 Alan Mag built with this action, but that will have to wait awhile.
With availability of components bieng somewhat of a problem, I would like to start out with some proven loads. It is a factory stock rifle with what I believe to be a 1 in 10 twist (26" barrel), am I correct in thinking that I can stabalize up to a 168g bullet?
The Hodgdon site is showing us869 as the lowest pressure for bullets from 140g to 175g followed by 50bmg and then retumbo. Retumbo is what I've read most about on this site. Please steer me in the right direction.
Has anybody used the cci34 primers for this case? I have a small stash bought for loading in my M1 but have not seen the need yet.
I plan on getting a newer load book that has info for this, is there a particular book that has more or better info?
Sorry for the long read, just trying to cover everything in one post.

US869 is a great powder for an overbore cartridge like the 7ultra mag and would my first choice.
It fills the case well and also doesn't have a problem with bridging within the case that could cause extreme pressure variations. Which sometmes can happen with extruded powder.
Start with a mid load and work up .
It is also pretty temp stable especially for a ball powder .

Try working up to 93 grains of Retumbo with a 160 Accubond and rem 91/2 M primers. 4 LLS rifles all shoot this load well. The rifle should be a 9 1/2 twist if not they still will stabilze the 175 Sierra with 101 grians of US 869 lit with a fed 215. I can't help with the CCI primers as I don't use them. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts