Help with 7mm STW

jmb

Hi guys I have just joined your forum. I live in South Africa and have just bought a Remington Sendero 7mm STW. It is a very rare caliber out here and there is not a lot info available on it. I want to use it for hunting light to medium size buck out to 500m. I also want to use it on Baboons that destroy my grape crop. These shots will also be 450 to 500m. Sorry guys should probably say yards but it is close to the same thing. We do not have your huge selection of propellant available here but I would really like any advice on this caliber especially bullets to use.

My 7mm stw wildcat has a 9 twist so I have to use the heavier 7mm bullets. I predominatly use all 175 gr SPBT because of higher BC. I have shot as small as 139's they would take out your baboons. That sounds like fun it's to bad that you don't live closer.

I've loaded shells before by using powder burn rate charts to get a load.

I use Retumo, h1000, Reloader 25, IMR 7828

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Caliber and Twist Rates

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Thanks for the info Budlight. Yeah shooting baboons is fun. They are just bloody clever. I have been shooting them at shorter ranges but they disappear too fast in the dead ground on the mountain slopes above my farm so I want to move further away hence the STW. South Africa is a wonderful country for shooting except for our bloody government which makes it incredibly difficult to license fire arms. Normal people can have 4 and then you still sometime wait a year for the bloody license.

I have decided that it is my patriotic duty to own as many firearms as I can buy justify and license. I have a Steyr 243 and 7mm Rem Mag. I have custom heavy barrel 308 and 30 06 and a 375 H&H Sako. I have a FN Fal in 7.62 Nato a Browning O/U 12 gauge a Beretta Semi 12 gauge, a 1934 Hollis & son 12 gauge S/S. Handguns I have a Browning HP, a H&K P7, a Sig P226, Delta Elite and a USPSA STI sigle stack in 45.

So as you can see I am really trying.

Look at this site please. I actually found that using 250 yards for my "Zero" worked best. It makes for easier mental calculation of bullet drop out to 600 yards I have a night force scope.

7mm STW Ballistic Table

Not sure what powders you have access to, but Retumbo worked best in my 7 STW, with the 168gr Berger.

I don't know if you have a chronograph, but without knowing how fast your bullet is traveling and knowing the BC of your bullets long range shooting becomes very iffy!

Any online loading data like the Hogdon site I posted is way down on amounts of powder. Unless you let them sit in the sun for a period of time on a hot day......................

I've used allot of sierra bullets just because they were cheaper. 162's can shoot very nice out of your 10 twist barrel. get some 140's and 150's and see how you like them. I use VLD on paper days. I've not really tried the 168 or 180 hunting VLDs

Last edited:
Man I wish I could hunt with you! I have 2 STW"S and I use 77grs of vihtavuori N 165 powder.

I'm shooting the 168 JLK's with a .690 bc at 3125fps. That is a flat shooting bullet. At 1500 yds I'm putting on 40.5 MOA
I've shot this gun out past a mile and I believe it would do just fine for you.

Thanks for the help guys. Our biggest problem is that we have a very limited spread of propellant. You guys do not know how lucky you are to have so many different types you have access to.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.