Help with 7mm Rem load data.

I have been shooting the 168 gr ABLR's for years in 7mm RM with Ramshot Magnum. Ball powder is super easy to work and has been very stable. I did not chase velocity since the rifle shoots so well at just over 2900fps. I am in AZ so shoot at over 100degrees down to the teens and it has been stable. Upside Ramshot may be a bit easier to find than Retumbo. Ramshot has load data on the Berger 168 VLD which should be very close to what you want to work up for the ABLR's.

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete
Okay you did not specify which 7 mag...there are a few out there!

Well for elk in my 7mm rem mag I like RL-25. I get pretty reasonable velocities (right at max in the books) and good accuracy with a couple of different 175 grain pills, and have taken elk out to 370 yards with it...just never needed to push for a farther shot, as a decent stalk brought me in closer on most occasions.

I would say try the Alliant RL-25 with that 168 if you have a 7mm Remington Magnum. Good bet you can find an acceptable load. One thing I might add, just thinking aloud...run it through a good ballistics program to be sure you have both enough energy to dispatch elk at 600 and the correct terminal velocity for proper bullet performance with whatever pill you end up using. I won't get carried away with numbers here, but common sense applies...if you have any questions there are lots of references out there to guide you on this.

Elk are as tough as they come, and more than one hunter has ended up with a miserably-long tracking job that could have been avoided with better planning. And while not every situation allows you to get in closer, I maintain that making the effort to move in for the shot paves the way to greater odds of placing a clean kill shot. We all like to brag it up when we make that long shot, but I'll take an easy kill any day over those bragging rights!

I'd recommend starting the way Berger suggests starting by finding the preferred "jump", then you can alter the powder from there
Sound wisdom from Mrbigtexan...all of these longer, high-BC bullets seem to get finicky if the bullet jump isn't right in your rifle. Might take a bit more testing, but if you work with an accuracy load from either Nosler or Sierra data - start by keeping the powder charge the same, and experiment with seating depth until you find what works best in your rifle. After that you can tweak the powder charge, though you may occasionally find that changing the powder charge requires a slight tweak to the seating depth as well. Just try to be consistent with your crimping - starting pressure can also become a source of inaccuracy if you are not. Have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.