Help with 6.5-06 IMP and Hornady 143-ELDX

SargeantE5

I have read all of the posts that I could find on the 6.5-06 IMP and appreciate all the knowledge that has been shared. I have a new 6.5-06 AI. 24 inch Bartlien 1-8" twist barrel. Using fireformed 270 Win SIG cases, F210M primers and am looking for more loads. I have ladder tested H1000 and H4831 both with 143 Hornady ELD-X bullets. Mixed results, so I am looking for more input... This is meant to be a hunting rifle so I am pretty much set on those types of bullets. I have had really good success with the 143 ELD-X in 6.5 CM, 260 AI, and 6.5-284 so I would like to stick with it, but I also have 140 Sierra Gamechangers and Berger 140's.. Any suggestions or data that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.....If someone could run a Quick Load program with the Hornady 143 ELD-X that would be great!! I don't have enough posts to do PM's so if you want to communicated off the board, you can email me...[email protected] (Mike). This is a really awesome site!!!

H1000 should be right up your alley, I would expect it to perform pretty well. The 210M is also a highly regarded primer & exactly what I would suggest.

My father insisted I use IMR 4350 in his 6.5-06AI, it shot well but pressured out before it achieved the velocity I believed it was capable of. (140's @ ~2950fps).

If it were me, i'd stick with H1000, run a OCW test with a chronograph. Pick a good node with acceptable SD/ES & play with seating depth from there.

t

I think your best bet would be to use published 6.5-06 data. Use the max listed load as your start load for your improved cartridge. Work up from there and watch your pressure signs. Welcome to wildcatting.

Lol, I guess I shouldn't have assumed that that was where the OP was already at. You're correct in posting that & I should have too.

t

I started with Max book loads and ran a ladder in .4 gr increments. Up to 54.7 of H1000. I was interested in what other users found to be their max in the Improved case? Open to using other powders. I probably have most of the popular slow burners. Was going to try R-25 and R-26. The start playing with seating depth. Keep the info coming. All input is valued!

What velocity did you see at the top of your ladder?

IMHO, i'd skip RL25. H1000 will provide more temp stability & longer barrel life. I can't speak onRL26 as I have never used it.

t

Just added a custom Avatar. Three generations of hunters. My grandson's 2021 Wyoming antelope (North of Lusk WY)... 6.5 Creedmoor/143 ELD-X@ 660yds. Bartlien barrel.... I'm lucky enough to live within 40 miles of Bartlien and Krieger. Brux is about 100 miles.

My max charge on the H1000 ladder was 54.7 grs but accuracy was going backwards....could be room to increase powder...

In my 6.5 Sherman (similar to your 6.5-06 AI), I've had great results with RL-26 and 140-156gr projectiles. If you can turn some up, I think RL-26 is worth a try.

The Highland Hunt Club near Cascade has 1000 yds. The host several PRS shoots every year, but membership is expensive. I have access to a couple of 200 yd ranges and limited access to 400 yds on private property.