Help! With 338 edge

Clndesl

Ok, I am about to lose my mind with this 338 edge on a Remington 700 I just had built. When I first got it from the smith it would not eject fired rounds. I sent it back and the smith replaced extractor,said it appeared a little worn and my pressure might have been too high. Ok I got it back and developed a load and it worked fine for about 20-30 rounds and now it will not extract some rounds and closing the bolt on a round is pretty tight(which I noticed from the start). I asked the smith if it was possibly a headspace issue and he quickly said no way even though he has never checked the action cause I just sent back my bolt the first time. I am also seeing slight dimpling and extractor marks every 5 rounds or so, no bolt lift issues though. My load is only producing 2820 out of my 28" and it is using Remington brass with a coal of 3.785. What do you guys think. Please help me out.

Oh forgot to add on my Colorado hunt this week I tried to eject a live round and it will not extract.

Is the bullet really jammed into the lands? How does a sized and empty case fit and extract? It might be a tight neck. Since it's a wildcat the reamer specs can be anything under the sun. I would see if the smith will send you a print of the reamer he used.

If you really suspect it is a head space issue.... for around $36 you can buy a 338 Edge Go-gauge and check it. you can use a peice of tape to use as a No-Go. Peace of mind would be well worth it to me. JMO dgarrett

This is the description of the reamer used, 338 EDGE (300G SMK THROAT) 0.3710 1*30 SAAMI HSS GO. I'm not sure if that helps I have a go gauge from ptg I'll try when I get home. I guess I'll measure all my brass too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.