help with 338-378

snox801

Ok I'm New to this but I have a question. I would like a rifle that I could hunt elk with out to 800 yards. would I be better off buying n accumark and sending it to Bob Hart for the accuracy package, about $2400. Or should I buy the mark v synthetic$1300 and then do a stock, New barrel nd accuracy job done. Both old cost relatively the same but what would shoot better. I also like the fact I could choose my barrel length. Any help would be a help thanks.

I actually thought about it but two of my friends have them, so I thought bigger oh coarse. I really do like the round to. I know it would be cheaper but im one of those that just must be different. I did the same thing with .25 cal.

That was my original thought but heard horror stories and thought of maybe building off of the cheaper one just not sure never built before. I say this because I just got a mark v 257 and shoots like crap so it got sent out for barrel and bedding just dont want it to happen again. Help I am willing to listen. Thank you.

LOL ...just get the .50 BMG ....Too funny ....lol. fiftydriver has some good choices on here .

I used to have a 338-378 Accumark. Bought it brand new. Had a NF 5.5-22x56 on it. It would shoot MOA as long as you didn't try and push it very hard. Shot mostly 225/250 Accubonds and some Barnes 225 ttsx. If I never shot them much over 3050fps it shot well. If you tried to steam them up for more FPS the groups opened up and it looked like a shotgun pattern.

IMO, the skinny #3 factory barrel is/was the problem. I think you need a lot more meat in the barrel when you're shooting a cannon like the 338-378.

I would go with a straight 338 Lapua and see how it shoots. If you have a love affair with Weatherby I think they chamber 338 Lapua in one of their factory rifles now too.

And if it didn't have a belt and Lapua made brass for it, I would love it too!

For what it's worth there is a really nice looking 338 Edge in the classified section that is a semi custom with all the good stuff and dies in your price range. Looks like it shoots pretty freakin good too.

I would buy that used 338 Edge over either factory rifle your looking at but that's just me.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/338-edge-sale-93017/

I would go for the accumark and see how it does first. I've had quite a few and never one over moa. I rebarreled my 257 with a lilja and it will shoot .25-.5 moa now. but until it opened up always shot .5 before. I wouldn't try anything closer than 200yds too for an accurate representation of how it will do

I have a Mark Alaskan that started as a .340 Wby and had rebarreled and the bolt face opened. Now a .338-378 with 26" plus Vias brake. Shoots Berger 300's at .5"

Attachments

• IMAG1899.jpg
    IMAG1899.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG1904.jpg
    IMAG1904.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 50
That is something I could live with. Very nice. I am currently thinking I would like o find a used one and spend the money I save on a new 30 inch barrel. Or I could buy a new savage lrh and having a new 30 inch barrel chambered 338-378 for about the same price as a new accumark. Just some thoughts, I have plenty of time. Thank you for all the info this site is very friendly and helpful.

I used to have a 338-378 Accumark. Bought it brand new. Had a NF 5.5-22x56 on it. It would shoot MOA as long as you didn't try and push it very hard. Shot mostly 225/250 Accubonds and some Barnes 225 ttsx. If I never shot them much over 3050fps it shot well. If you tried to steam them up for more FPS the groups opened up and it looked like a shotgun pattern.

IMO, the skinny #3 factory barrel is/was the problem. I think you need a lot more meat in the barrel when you're shooting a cannon like the 338-378.

I would go with a straight 338 Lapua and see how it shoots. If you have a love affair with Weatherby I think they chamber 338 Lapua in one of their factory rifles now too.

Yes, Weatherby offers the Accumark in .338 Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.