help with 338-378

Why are you passing up on the 338 win.mag.? same bullet weights, speed difference at 800 yards is not significant, factory cartridges are half the price and more available, it was designed to handle every thing on this continent, and with a savage action you can easily swap the barrel with a 7mm mag for deer and varmints or a 458 mag and be legal for Africa. I'm not putting down the watherby round, I'm just curious.

You won't go wrong with the Weatherby. Excellent caliber, no equal in a factory rifle/cartridge. Weatherbys hold value just look on this site. Will post pics of a custom I just built on a Wby action.

I recently picked up a used (barely) Accumark in .338-.378. It went along as a backup gun on my Idaho elk hunt. Low & behold, my primary weapon (a Win 70 ss in .300 Weatherby) broke 2 scope mount screws while sighting it in there, so the cannon became #1.

If dropped 2 elk in their tracks, one for my tag and another after my guide saw it in action. As my guide put it, two elk that were INSTANTLY dead, no tracking or doubt in anyone's mind. I love the round & can group factory ammo very well. Haven't picked up dies for it yet, but have 10 boxes of factory ammo, so I won't NEED to.

The weight was much less an issue than I thought — even climbing over 12,000 feet a day. Having to hunt with ear-plugs was the only negative.

Only initial modification will be lightening the trigger.

This is a gun I can use for years & sell for everything I've got in it any time I want to. Not many can match that!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.