Help with .308

Devinbajus

I'm looking for a new .308 rifle for target shooting. The two rifles I've been looking at are the Remington 700 r5 milspec and the ruger precision rifle. What are some pros and cons of each? I've never had much to do with either brand, always been a savage shooter but I'm disappointed with there half plastic mags. I need some help with my decision, or recommendations on another rifle in that price range.

Thanks

I have two 700 5R Milspecs. One in .308 Win with the 24" barrel. I highly recommend it. The only con I can think of is that you will need to swap the trigger immediately, but a Timney is not very expensive. Mine shoots between 1/4 & 1/2 MOA consistently with handloads.

I have owned a few Milspecs in 308 and 300WM. They were(are) all reliable sub .5MOA shooters, with little or no fuss developing loads or using Fed Match ammo. Everyone that I know who has owned them hasbeen quite satisfied. The attractiveness of the Milspec is the vast array of easily accessible accessories should one choose to add them.

I'm looking for a new .308 rifle for target shooting. The two rifles I've been looking at are the Remington 700 r5 milspec and the ruger precision rifle. What are some pros and cons of each? I've never had much to do with either brand, always been a savage shooter but I'm disappointed with there half plastic mags. I need some help with my decision, or recommendations on another rifle in that price range.

Thanks
I'll take some heat for this for sure ,but.

I'm going to suggest a Savage 10BA. It is definitely a target only rifle for sure, great trigger, heavy and has a muzzle brake included. You will be able to shoot heavy weight bullets literally all day and not get beat up.

Mine was one of the most accurate factory rifles I've owned.

Nothing on it is made of plastic.

I'll take some heat for this for sure ,but.

I'm going to suggest a Savage 10BA. It is definitely a target only rifle for sure, great trigger, heavy and has a muzzle brake included. You will be able to shoot heavy weight bullets literally all day and not get beat up.

Mine was one of the most accurate factory rifles I've owned.

Nothing on it is made of plastic.

I have looked at the 10ba and have also shot one, they are a sweet rifle, it's just that its $1000 more then the 700 r5 and the rpr makes its out of the question.

I have a Rem 5R in 308 and it gets boring to shoot since it will put round after round in the same hole at 100 yards...I guess that is a good boring. The only thing I did was replaced the trigger with a Timney.

This is at 200 yards and a very common group.
34d72b5b79108479e9a9407ba9fc35d7_zpsgplvahxs.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.