Help with 300RUM........

TeamSasquatch

Hey, I'm new to this board. Recently picked up a Sendero LS in 300Rem Ultra, it has a 1-10 twist and 26" barrel. I was wondering if any of you have experience using the 200/220gr smk's or LRB's out of a similar twist and length barrel. I'm looking for a 1200 yd target load with as flat a trajectory as possible.

Thanks in advance....

'Squatch

My Sendero really like's the 220's over Rl25 or H1000.You might wanna try the Berger 210's also.Start at about 83gr of either powder and work up.My gun would shoot both bullet's under a half inch.Hoped this helped some....

Boyd, thanks so much for the reply. I have very minimal reloading experience, lol, looks like that is gonna change really soon. I have experience with the H1000 powder and a 190gr smk in a Sendero SF 300wby. Actually produced excellent groups.

I'm really looking forward to finding a load that this weapon likes, once construction is complete, lol...and airing it out as far as we can consistently and accurately get it.

Thanks for the reply...

'Squatch.........
grin.gif

Hi Sasquach:
I'm new at this too..These gentlemen have been a great help..I too am shooting a 300 RUM (Savage 116)I have built some loads of 220 SMK's using Alliant R25 powder..I have 20 rnds at 80-85-90-95 grns.I'll let ya know how they turn out.My Goal is to reach out to a mile (I hope).Another good sorce of information is to go to www.loadyourown.com .
My question to anyone who might read this is..
What is the best way to brake in a barrel??
Should I start with a cold or hot barrel??
How many rounds of each should I shoot before moving up?? Thanks...

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: ColtLee ]

Colt.Don't even try shooting 95gr of RL25 with the 220.90gr is even pushing it.96gr is the MAX LOAD for the 180's.I hope you read this before it's too late......

OW!!! My eye!!!
wink.gif
Just kidding..Thanks Boyd I was wondering about that load..I got that from wwwloadyourown.com..I was going to be safe about it..I'm going to work my way up slowly and check for pressure signs as I go.
I'm still curios though on the best way to work it up..How many rounds should I test before moving up and should they be on a cold or hot barrel??
confused.gif

Hey fellas, thanks for the info. Sorry, been out under the water tearin stuff...err oops, I mean putting stuff together for the oil companies...

I'm lookin forward to finding what this rifle likes, and seeing how far we can push it out. We have found a place minutes from the house here, where the piggies are abundant, and after finding best consistent range for a load with this rifle, looking forward to bagging an oinker with a 200gr SMK, at over 1000yds...
LTNS Dave, this seems like a great site, lots of knowledgable people sharing good information...

'Squatch.........charlie mike
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.