Help with 300 WM Loads

jraulsten

I have a buddy that got a new build 300 Win Mag from someplace here in Texas.......Alamo maybe?
Anyway he does not reload and has asked me to help. The gun has a Bartlein (maybe 2 or 2B) and Defiance Deviant Hunter action so no reason it shouldn't shoot. The whole thing is very light so I'm sure I'll have a blast shooting ito_O

At any rate, he has purchased and given me 100 pieces of Norma brass and a Redding Type S full size match die set. I don't have a 300 Win Mag but I do have several 215 Hybrids, some 215Ms and a lot of H1000. Any ideas on where to start and if these components will work would be much appreciated.

Great component choices.
I would start @ 73.0 and go up to 78.0 or so for the ladder test. Stop when you hit pressure.

Received an Email from Berger about a week ago on load data for 300 Win Mag. Click the pic to view for aging eyes.
berg300.jpg

Good advice so far, and nice build. I got to 79 gr of H1000 with Nosler brass and a 215 Berger. I stopped there because velocity was good at 2995 fps. Right in line with what Broz was getting. Really depends on your reamer I think. But as mentioned start around 73 gr of H1000 and jump them at 30 thou off. In multiple 300 Win Mags 30 off has been a sweet spot.

Both of mine work great at 76 grains of H1000 and 215s .020" off the rifling. Start at 73 and find out what it likes .

Thank you to all for the advice!

Wish this thing had an extended box. According to my measurements the 215s are CBTO of 2.880 to lands which is a COAL of around 3.650. With a SAAMI COAL of 3.34, seems like a huge jump if I measured correctly:(

Don't worry about SAAMI COAL. If it fits in the magazine and shoots well, that is what is important. The loads are for one specific rifle, not every single possible rifle ever made.

FWIW, I have a Ruger tanger that I load to fit the mag box-3.335" coal with the 215. Looks funny but shoots. It runs inline with the Berger loads listed above. It gets me plenty of vel/energy far enough not to be comfortable with that lightweight rifle. You should be fine with mag length. They are pretty forgiving.

I helped a friend develope a load for his factory Rem 700 , they fit in the mag just fine seated for a .020" jump .

Thank you all so much. I feel pretty confident about finding a good load now. If this thing really shoots I might have to get me one too!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.