help with 300 Win Mag.

george

Just purchased rem sindero 300 Win Mag, Lapula brass box os barnes xlc 168 gr bullets & 180 scirocco bullets, Has anyone loaded for these bullets in the 300 Win Mag. I will have the bolt trued, barrel lapped & crowned & trigger job before I shoot the gun
any help appreciated

Ive owned and loaded for this rifle for years. You may want to upthe bullet weight into the 190's and 200's. 220 for paper punching. Ive found these to be more accurate and less finnicky on the loads they like.

I have shot several boxes of 180 Sciroccos in the .300 Win. mag. It is an ideal hunting bullet as it will stay together on close range shots since the core and jacket are boned (you can count on 80% weight retention). Sciroccos are one of the most accurate bullets that I have encountered - but they can be fussy and you might have to play with OL's and powder charges. They are pretty long and you might have to seat them fairly deep to stay at factory O.L., otherwise load them out to the lands if your magazine will permit. I got best accuracy with them loaded with a stout load, your rifle will let you know if it will shoot Sciroccos.
I got best accuracy with H-1000 in my rifle, also H-4350 is shooting very nicely. I used Winchester brass and Win. magnum primers for my loads.
I just shot a few boxes of Black Hills Ammo factory loaded Barnes 180XLC's and they held consistently at 1.0 inch in an out of the box Sako 75 in .300 Win. with a 3x-12x Swarovski TDS. We are getting better accuracy with the 168XLC but have only shot them in .308's so far.

Have Ruger No.1 in 300 win.mag,shoots 180gr.Sciroccos very well loaded with RL-22,federal 215 mag primers seated close to lands.Half inch three shot groups at 130 yards. Not comp. rifle but great for hunting shot biggest buck so far with it,bullet performed great at 100yds.
smile.gif

Just a thought but you may want to do prelimiary work up with bullets like the Hornady Interlock or SST, Sierra Gameking. They are very accurate bullets and usually get good results from most rifles.

That way you save some money while working up a load and get a baseline so that you can compare the performance of the Barnes and Swift. B & S bullets can be a little finicky to work with.

Powders like H4831SC, H1000, and IMR 7828 are great powders. I like Fed 215M primers too. With heavies, the Retumbo and RE22 may work for you.

Personally, I would free float the barrel, bed the action front and rear and start shooting. You may find that it will already shoot sub MOA the way it is. If any production barrel will consistently shoot sub MOA, I am happy. Why spend extra money to true up a barrel that may never shoot tiny groups?

Use a collet die or accurate neck sizing die for best performance. If you seat good bullets straight, chances are your groups are going to be small.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.