Help with 22 Hornet

Ruger No. 3 in Hornet, thanks for all of the advice, even if it wasn't for me specifically. My first pass at loading for it was less than impressive. I'll incorporate the suggestions here and try again.

Last edited:
Fire-form K-Hornet from regular Hornet brass. Just like making AI brass from what ever the parent case is.

Have always had a love affair with the little hornet have had savage 23 and a bunch of 340s ruger #3 and a ruger 77varmit have now 2 #1 one A and one B and browning A bolt they all three shot sub 3/4 moa the Abolt will do sub1/2 moa I learned fast early 70s that hornets were finicky about primers powder and some bullets were not good killers the bullet that I went with in those days was Speer 40 gr spiral point the load I use in all my hornets now is hornady 35 and 40 grain vmax with H110 and fed 205 primers and I use Forster BR dies good luck you said you were getting a browning high wall I that you would be in a low wall but what do I know

Have always had a love affair with the little hornet have had savage 23 and a bunch of 340s ruger #3 and a ruger 77varmit have now 2 #1 one A and one B and browning A bolt they all three shot sub 3/4 moa the Abolt will do sub1/2 moa I learned fast early 70s that hornets were finicky about primers powder and some bullets were not good killers the bullet that I went with in those days was Speer 40 gr spiral point the load I use in all my hornets now is hornady 35 and 40 grain vmax with H110 and fed 205 primers and I use Forster BR dies good luck you said you were getting a browning high wall I that you would be in a low wall but what do I know
Thanks for the info, it is an original 1885 Winchester Hi-Wall re-barreled to the Hornet.
Have allot of sierra's that I will start with.

Anyone out there loading for the 22 Hornet, just picked up a 1885 Winchester in that caliber.
Bought a 77 Hornet when they first came out,2 inch groups was the best i could get.After many days working on problems i found 296 with 40gr bt win cases rem primers.Shot around 1/2 with that combo.

RiceGuy,
Good rifle, great little low wall and a nice little caliber. I have an 1885 in 45-70. I love shooting it.
I have a Ruger #3 in 22Hornet, I love the little thing. It's dispatched many feral cats, tons of bunnies, and a few coyotes.
I used small pistol primers, 11.5 to 11.7 grains of H-110, Win small pistol, Win brass, 35 grain Speer gold dot hollow points.

RiceGuy,
Good rifle, great little low wall and a nice little caliber. I have an 1885 in 45-70. I love shooting it.
I have a Ruger #3 in 22Hornet, I love the little thing. It's dispatched many feral cats, tons of bunnies, and a few coyotes.
I used small pistol primers, 11.5 to 11.7 grains of H-110, Win small pistol, Win brass, 35 grain Speer gold dot hollow points.
Have a 45/70 also, 38/50 RH, and a 38/55 all Original Hi Walls, my new acquired 22H is also a Hi-Wall original 1885, they are all fun to shoot. The 45/70 is my favorite so far., Have 4 others of different makes, Win lever guns and marlins. Going to start molding bullets for them and others soon.

With my hornet and K hornet loads I flare the case mouth slightly. This avoids any miss alignment of the projectile crushing the case when sesting a projectile.
I use a full length sizer but only seat it to the depth of a seated projectile. Doing it this way I have gotten nearly 20 reloads out of a case. I also trim and anneal every 3rd firing though.