Help with 22 Hornet

Here is where I bought mine

The problem I found with the Ruger 77 Hornet is the bolt is 2 piece and allows the round to move around As the front half wobbles. Mine shot 3" groups when new. The fix was a guy in Arizona made a shim kit to stop the wobble in the bolt halves. Mine needed .005" shims. Took out the slop and it shoots .2 now and is my favorite 22 cal. Taken many a groundhog with it. Nailed a few fox at 240 yds too

The 22 Hornet case is thin and near fragile. Make sure case is not squeezed down to much in the sizing die. If neck is tight, Seating the bullet will make the case swell out on one side and the bullet will be out center.
One fun little round to shoot and play with.

The 22 Hornet case is thin and near fragile. Make sure case is not squeezed down to much in the sizing die. If neck is tight, Seating the bullet will make the case swell out on one side and the bullet will be out center.
Thanks for the reloading tip. I really appreciate it. Haven't loaded this caliber before.

My Savage 23D doesn't like LilGun, 2400 or 296 is what it prefers with a ..223 40g bullet. SP primers or Remington 6 1/2s. I have tried SP Mag primers, also. The 6 1/2s give me a closer ES . Oughta' slug the bore of that '85 when you get it to see which dia bullet you need ,, .224 or .223

I use a collet die set to squeeze the neck just enough to hold a bullet. I get good case life doing this

My full length die sizer is set up so that a .020" feeler gauge is a press fit between the shell holder and the die. This works better for me than just a neck sizer (bushing or collet, I've tried both). My CZ has a 1-16" twist, but it shoots the 45 grain Speer and Sierra SP bullets very well with 12.7 of Lil'Gun in WW brass and CCI 500 SP primers. My testing indicated that the CCI was the most consistent performer (accuracy and low SD) followed by Rem 6 1/2. Those two bullets mushroom like big game bullets and are not varmint vaporizers, but are good for saving pelts.

My cz rp case 11.6 imr 4227 cci 400 1.138col if you use ww or ppu you have to cut powder down as they have less case capacity using a 45 gr rem hollow pt bulk box

Attachments

• 95214144-E0D3-4E50-8289-721D3072AD3E.jpeg
    95214144-E0D3-4E50-8289-721D3072AD3E.jpeg
    979.6 KB · Views: 78
Own a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet. I put a light crimp on my Hornet reloads. Top notch factory load was Winchester Supreme which disappeared from the market several years ago. Those were crimped.

I had a 77/22 hornet.
It was one of my favorites. I had to sell when money was tight.
I loaded h110 with hornady 45gr bee bullets. I would load for it once a year and would load enough to use up a pound of powder.
I used it for prairie dogs, raccoons, and a few coyotes. Those hornady 45gr bee bullets would throw prairie dogs in the air and wouldn't exit the raccoons

My full length die sizer is set up so that a .020" feeler gauge is a press fit between the shell holder and the die. This works better for me than just a neck sizer (bushing or collet, I've tried both). My CZ has a 1-16" twist, but it shoots the 45 grain Speer and Sierra SP bullets very well with 12.7 of Lil'Gun in WW brass and CCI 500 SP primers. My testing indicated that the CCI was the most consistent performer (accuracy and low SD) followed by Rem 6 1/2. Those two bullets mushroom like big game bullets and are not varmint vaporizers, but are good for saving pelts.
Thanks Guys getting allot of good info for loading my 22 Hornet if it ever gets here.

35 or 40gr vmax, app, and Lil'gun for me. W296 a close second. I have 4 Hornets and 2 KHornets. I have an 1885 hornet but not my best shooter. Ruger No. One is my best shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.