Help with 22 Hornet

For varmints I have found Calhoun DBHP bullets very effective, the 37gr are not the best grouping bullets but I still find them to shoot sub moa which is just fine for opening up woodchucks at 200 yards and less!

Have always had a love affair with the little hornet have had savage 23 and a bunch of 340s ruger #3 and a ruger 77varmit have now 2 #1 one A and one B and browning A bolt they all three shot sub 3/4 moa the Abolt will do sub1/2 moa I learned fast early 70s that hornets were finicky about primers powder and some bullets were not good killers the bullet that I went with in those days was Speer 40 gr spiral point the load I use in all my hornets now is hornady 35 and 40 grain vmax with H110 and fed 205 primers and I use Forster BR dies good luck you said you were getting a browning high wall I that you would be in a low wall but what do I know
No its not a low wall, its a Hi Wall that had been re-barreled. Its a 3 digit serial # indicating it was one of the first ones built. I suspect that it was originally a 22 short as were many of the first ones made. They made it in the 22 short for the salesmen to demonstrate to they're customers.
Finally received the Rifle a few days ago after my stupid 10 day waiting period here in the communist state of Ca.. Rifle is beautiful with a great piece of Claro Walnut stock. 26 inch round barrel. No sights. Weaver mounts for scope. Will have to slug the barrel. Not sure of the twist yet either.
Appears to have a small crack in the stock. Hope it won't be a problem. I have attached a pic
DSCN2354.JPG

Last edited:
With my hornet and K hornet loads I flare the case mouth slightly. This avoids any miss alignment of the projectile crushing the case when sesting a projectile.
I use a full length sizer but only seat it to the depth of a seated projectile. Doing it this way I have gotten nearly 20 reloads out of a case. I also trim and anneal every 3rd firing though.
My first loads in the already primed used cases that I had split half of the cases!!! . Was a weak beginning load of 2400 just to get the scope on the papper. Thinking now that I should anneal the rest of the cases that I have before going any farther. What do you think. Cases were Winchester Super-x and Western.

Knowing the twist is helpful. I'm thinking dropping down in bullet weight to 45 grains or less should result in an uptick in accuracy. While 1" groups @ 50 yrds is not bad, you hope for better from a Hornet. I wonder how a 35gr V-Max would do from that slow twist, or a 45gr Sierra (SKU; 1210). The trick is finding them in stock somewhere.

Shot a few more factory loads today, 1 inch group at 50 yrds, Same with the 10 gr of 4227 and 55 gr Jac Sp bullet.
Forgot to mention the we checked the barrel twist. It is 1 in 16.
That is actually pretty bad results. Shim the bolt and your results should improve. At 50 yards 5 rounds should literally go in one hole. Most Hornets are 1 in 16 twist and shoot 40 to 50 grain bullets just great. If shimming doesn't get u to one hole u may have the Devcon bed it too.

That is actually pretty bad results. Shim the bolt and your results should improve. At 50 yards 5 rounds should literally go in one hole. Most Hornets are 1 in 16 twist and shoot 40 to 50 grain bullets just great. If shimming doesn't get u to one hole u may have the Devcon bed it too.
The Rifle is an Win 1885 Hi-Wall, no bolt, custom 26 inch barrel.

Knowing the twist is helpful. I'm thinking dropping down in bullet weight to 45 grains or less should result in an uptick in accuracy. While 1" groups @ 50 yrds is not bad, you hope for better from a Hornet. I wonder how a 35gr V-Max would do from that slow twist, or a 45gr Sierra (SKU; 1210). The trick is finding them in stock somewhere.
yeah I'm stuck with bullets on hand for now. Did get some Lil-Gun powder from a friend to try out.
Was using 45 grn bullet.

The Rifle is an Win 1885 Hi-Wall, no bolt, custom 26 inch barrel.
Sorry, for some reason I thought you had a Ruger 77. Must have confused it with another post or thread. There is not a lot you can do to the bedding etc on what you have so you will need to look at loads. Have you tried small pistol primers, and another thing that many find helps is a light crimp. The idea of both is to reduce the SD of the loads and allow full combustion before the bullet leaves the case. The softer pistol primers help do that as does a light crimp that hold the bullet in place just a hair longer. Best of luck, I think you will find the Lil'Gun groups really well, would suggest you start at 12.6 grains, with a small pistol primer in WW brass, LOA 1.80

Sorry, for some reason I thought you had a Ruger 77. Must have confused it with another post or thread. There is not a lot you can do to the bedding etc on what you have so you will need to look at loads. Have you tried small pistol primers, and another thing that many find helps is a light crimp. The idea of both is to reduce the SD of the loads and allow full combustion before the bullet leaves the case. The softer pistol primers help do that as does a light crimp that hold the bullet in place just a hair longer. Best of luck, I think you will find the Lil'Gun groups really well, would suggest you start at 12.6 grains, with a small pistol primer in WW brass, LOA 1.80
Thanks, really appreciate the help. Will try the lilgun today, I wonder if I can get that much in that case? Tried 11.5 gr of 4227 the other day and the case was full. I notice their is no crown on this barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.