Help with 1st Elk trip - Colorado

Harpoon brother

I have been researching an Elk hunt for a few years and I've noticed I'm not getting any younger. I really want to use the bow, but I think it would be better to carry my rifle until I learn a thing or two. Also, I live in Michigan, the only thing flatter is Ohio. So I realize this is going to be tough.

I think I've narrowed my search down to Colorado, in/around Unit 12 or 5. Anybody familiar with these units that could help me decide?

Thanks!

Not sure of the exact areas, but I've bow hunted several areas in Colorado, and rifle hunted a few. The north side of the West Elk Wilderness was my favorite, including Snowshoe Mesa. The White River National forest was also decent. The Flat Tops wilderness was also a favorite. I'm from indiana. It's a real shock to go from hunting this part of the country, to the Rockies. The bow and muzzleloader season was the best chance to catch the rut. It seemed to me like by the first rifle season it was over. Bugling Bulls are a lot easier to find, and the weather was better. The Holy Cross, and the area just west of it were very rugged, but always seem to have a lot of elk early in the season. I have 12 preference points for Colorado, and I'm actually trying to make a trip out there. It's beautiful country.

Thanks Johnie,

Thinking about maybe cutting my teeth or trying out the altitude legs and lungs on a cow hunt. May be a good idea to try for a cow and scout an area where some PPs are needed. I dunno, I'm close to just throwing a dart at the map!

I've been hunting in high altitude in CO for 15 years. Taken many newbies with me and pushed the limits when hiking. Don't worrry about the altitude. Your body has ways to help with it and can compensate in the short term to function at its best. The best thing you can do is to be in decent shape, carry a light pack and know your body. My dad is 64 and climbed to 11600+ this year. He is in moderate shape and good health.

Cutting your teeth on a cow is good. Plan out your hunt and consider renting a horse. They are life savers the high altitude ranges.

I have battled cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, surgery and a lack of ability and time to get into shape last year. I still made it to 12000+ and was just fine.

On our first trip, my dad was fighting cancer, on one of our last, I found out it had returned. It's doable. But you can't be in to good of shape. The archery license used to be either sex. I don't know anymore, it's been a while. That was a really good way to go. Cows come to the call pretty easy. Satellite Bulls sometimes run at you. They get a little antsy, if you know what I mean. Call out there and talk to the DNR. Ask them about buying leftover tags. Strictly in my opinion, I've always thought the muzzleloader season was the best bet. It's right in the middle of the rut. Big Bulls like to come in to about 80yds and hold up. Way to far for my bow, but would of been a wonderful situation for my inline to handle. Early in the season the elk are usually in the higher country, and that's where a lot of public ground seemed to be. Later in the season they seemed to head lower. I'm planning on using my points for a limited draw area, muzzleloader bull tag. Maybe next year.

I've been hunting in high altitude in CO for 15 years. Taken many newbies with me and pushed the limits when hiking. Don't worrry about the altitude. Your body has ways to help with it and can compensate in the short term to function at its best. The best thing you can do is to be in decent shape, carry a light pack and know your body. My dad is 64 and climbed to 11600+ this year. He is in moderate shape and good health.

Cutting your teeth on a cow is good. Plan out your hunt and consider renting a horse. They are life savers the high altitude ranges.

I have battled cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, surgery and a lack of ability and time to get into shape last year. I still made it to 12000+ and was just fine.

Excellent advice on physical condition and health. I've ran into too many elk hunters that I swear they are about to have a heart attack.

Having said that, a "hunter's" drive is truly amazing. I remember last year, my hunting buddies and I put in 28 miles in a weekend to pack out 2 bull elk.

Marble, good luck on your speedy recovery ... be strong and God bless!

Ed

Thanks everyone!

I've been running for a year anywhere from 2-4 miles daily with a few 5-7 mile runs in too. Sometimes with a backpack with weight. I have been lifting weights 3-5 days a week for about the last 4 months. Just need to push away from the table sooner :( and the holidays aren't helping. Hoping to be at fighting weight this spring though.

I've also been thinking more and more about the cow hunt. Kicking around the idea of a Wyoming Unit 7 late season hunt with some leftover lope doe tags on a nearby unit.

Which ever way you go, I'm sure you'll have fun. It's always nice to get away and experience something different. I've hunted whitetail all my life. I absolutely love to see something new. It really adds to the thrill.

Altitude sickness is areal concern,when I was outfitting I had to deal with it a few times,including taking people to the hospital. We live at 8200' ,have been here since 84,last summer my wife and I took two of our grand daughters on a horse pack trip to a high country lake for fishing and sight seeing,around 11000'.About 6am my wife was trying to tear the door of the tent because could not breath,we have been making these kind of trips every year at least once a year,or more ,....I Had noticed she had started a light cough through the night,that along with being over tired are early signs of the sickness,your lungs start to fill with fluid and you have trouble getting oxigane,if this happens you must get to lower elevation and may need medical help....I am in no way trying to discourage you,I hope you can make the trip ,I just want you to be educated to the fact there is NO reasoning as to why it may or may not attack you,I would never expected my wife to have this problem,be in as good shape as you can,and it supposedly helps to gain your altitude change over a couple of days,also one of the first signs to take it easy is a head ache,have a great trip to our great state.

Taking a few extra days off and showing up early to scout is probably the best thing one can do to expedite the altitude adjustment.

The difference between how you feel on day one and day three can be rather dramatic.

Area 3 and 301 for late season elk is the way to go! Good trails and no hard 4 wheeling. It took me 3 points to get it but the hunt was easiest I've ever been on. I did a DYI but put hours in studying the area map, watching weather patterns and talking to people.

Marble: "I've been hunting in high altitude in CO for 15 years. Taken many newbies with me and pushed the limits when hiking. Don't worrry about the altitude. Your body has ways to help with it and can compensate in the short term to function at its best. The best thing you can do is to be in decent shape, carry a light pack and know your body. My dad is 64 and climbed to 11600+ this year. He is in moderate shape and good health."

IMHO your message is trivializing something that needs to be taken much more seriously than when you say "don't worry about the altitude". They most certainly should take it seriously, know what the signs are, and be ready to bail out before a serious medical condition results. I hunt out in Wyoming from about 6500'-7000' with no problem every year. However, I went out the middle of September to do some scouting for a guy at about 9200' and started the same day I got there. I didn't make it 1 1/2 miles and had to head back to the truck and bail out to a lower elevation because I just couldn't get enough oxygen and was pooped.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts