Help? What should I do?

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
Do you want a rifle? If that's what you want, I'd call, talk to a supervisor, explain you just want a replacement rifle.

I wouldn't threaten anything. If he has to look into "it", tell him you will give him 2 weeks to call you back. Tell him your name and ask for his so you can call him. Write everything down. Call him back in 2 weeks.

In 2 weeks, consider all your options, then post something on their Facebook requesting an update on your rifle. I don't know where you want to go with this, but there are non-legal options that are better for a guy looking for a replacement rifle. I would guess Beretta doesn't want a social media war with a customer.

Probably worth calling the ammo company too.

First if you are certain of all the information you have regarding the incident, this is clearly a Product Safety issue and potentially dangerous to consumers. I would give them one more call to ask them if the Maryland Address is the correct address for you to submit a Consumer Complaint to the Consumer Product Safety Commission since this firearm has the potential to be dangerous to consumers causing physical harm or even potentially worse. You can report an unsafe product directly off the CPSC website. I would also indicate to Tikka you sustained injuries from this unsafe product as well. I will bet you will be speaking to someone pretty fast.

CPSC Complaint Link: CPSC

First if you are certain of all the information you have regarding the incident, this is clearly a Product Safety issue and potentially dangerous to consumers. I would give them one more call to ask them if the Maryland Address is the correct address for you to submit a Consumer Complaint to the Consumer Product Safety Commission since this firearm has the potential to be dangerous to consumers causing physical harm or even potentially worse. You can report an unsafe product directly off the CPSC website. I would also indicate to Tikka you sustained injuries from this unsafe product as well. I will bet you will be speaking to someone pretty fast.

CPSC Complaint Link: CPSC
Thank you. That response seems like it has teeth.

That's very interesting. I sent that casing in with the rifle and all of the pieces. I figured I'd hand them everything associated with the incident so they could have everything necessary to determine the problem. But, if the case ruptured upon firing, I could see it failing to produce enough pressure to push the bullet all the way through the barrel. I'm still not sure why the backpressure would be directed into the magazine, but weird things happen when pressure is confined. Thank you for that information.
When my Ruger blew , the magazine (metal) had the greatest impact . It blew out in many, many pieces. The receiver blew out in 1 chunk, the whole side blew out. Bolt was still locked in place and had to be hammered out. Obstruction was still in the barrel halfway down the pipe.

Last edited:
Do you by chance have any of the other old casings that you've fired from that rifle to see if there was any others split by chance? Like I stated earlier when I told my dad about it he had no clue and I then looked at the edge of the porch where he shot often and found several that were split he decided maybe he should contact Hornady.

Also if I remember correctly there was a issue with some manufacturers chambers being oversized . Maybe

Do you by chance have any of the other old casings that you've fired from that rifle to see if there was any others split by chance? Like I stated earlier when I told my dad about it he had no clue and I then looked at the edge of the porch where he shot often and found several that were split he decided maybe he should contact Hornady.

Also if I remember correctly there was a issue with some manufacturers chambers being oversized . Maybe
I honestly don't. I scooped them all up each time I shot it and dumped them into the trash. I never anticipated any of this.

Persistence will likely pay off. I have found that by the third attempt and a little persuasion you will accomplish something satisfactory. Always ask for a supervisor and keep notes and emails of any correspondence. Always explain the details of the previous conversations (dates-persons name,etc.) in your current conversation. I've never threatened to sue with four different companies. But I always say I'm surprised a firearm was let out of the factory in this condition. And I always say that the other companies I had issues with all stood by their firearms and did the right thing. Eventually two were replaced, two were fixed. Sometimes it's as simple as speaking to a different supervisor at a different time. Just keep trying, be assertive, but don't yell. Hope you get a good outcome. It could have been the ammo too.
PS. With an out of warranty Kimber that had a brake on it and reloads shot through it, I convinced the supervisor by saying: " I would never sue any company related to firearms being I am so pro 2nd amendment and wouldn't hurt fellow supporters. But if my rifle fails a Cape Buffalo charge because your bolt keeps getting stuck, I doubt I will be able to control my wife. And she's the last person you want to come at you armed with lawyers". That's a true story and it worked when all else failed. Lol !

Last edited:
For those who asked about more details:

I bought this rifle about March 2020. I had been in love with it. One of the most accurate rifles I'd ever owned. I had only ever used factory hornady 15.5 gr ammo, and had never had an issue. I was casually shooting it one afternoon, and on about the fifth round of the outing, it felt like a grenade exploded in my hands. The bottom metal (plastic) was destroyed. It blew plastic shrapnel in every direction, destroyed the magazine and set off rounds in the magazine, blowing pieces of the magazine 50' in every direction. I was pretty lucky to have not been injured in all reality. There was something lodged in the barrel, approximately halfway between breach and bore. I assume it was a bullet, but I sent it to them like it was to determine what happened. When I called them and told them that the rifle exploded in my hands, I did notice that they showed no alarm, and didn't even want to know what or how it had happened, which led me to believe that this might not have been the first time it had happened. It seemed like it was an issue that they were aware of..
Blowing up a gun to me is when a barrel splits, and or the action. It sounds like yours is intact.
What you had was hot gasses coming back your way, most likely from the neck splitting and design of the bolt, with your magazine and magwell absorbing it. The loss of gas was enough to not push the bullet down the bore, hence stuck.
I doubt the pc of brass with the split neck in the one pic is actually the one that caused the damage, it would be black with soot.
I know you have waited long enough, but a company Berretta's size gains nothing by screwing you over, evidence here and the damage on other forums that you can do. I would keep trying, and wait. From my point of view, why would anyone be in a hurry to jump back into the same scenario, still be a tikka shooting hornady ammo only now you will be wearing a face shield and welding gloves while you shoot.

Blowing up a gun to me is when a barrel splits, and or the action. It sounds like yours is intact.
What you had was hot gasses coming back your way, most likely from the neck splitting and design of the bolt, with your magazine and magwell absorbing it. The loss of gas was enough to not push the bullet down the bore, hence stuck.
I doubt the pc of brass with the split neck in the one pic is actually the one that caused the damage, it would be black with soot.
I know you have waited long enough, but a company Berretta's size gains nothing by screwing you over, evidence here and the damage on other forums that you can do. I would keep trying, and wait. From my point of view, why would anyone be in a hurry to jump back into the same scenario, still be a tikka shooting hornady ammo only now you will be wearing a face shield and welding gloves while you shoot.
I literally ejected that casing after the incident, so yeah, it is the one. I'm sorry my barrel didn't split like a loony toons cartoon to meet your definition of "blowing up a gun". If it had been in your hands, you'd have used the same terminology I'm sure.