Help? What should I do?

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
A letter from an attorney demanding disposition might help. I suspect for less than $150 you could get it done if you don't know an attorney. If you know one, might be free.
Might be better to put the $150 towards another 17 and hope they eventually get you taken care of. I have an inherited gene that prevents me from getting screwed twice. Based on your account, I wouldn't be purchasing anymore tikkas. Customer service is huge to me. I hope you get it worked out.
I don't Twitter, but the advice above is likely to get their attention. Good start

Last edited:
For those who asked about more details:

I bought this rifle about March 2020. I had been in love with it. One of the most accurate rifles I'd ever owned. I had only ever used factory hornady 15.5 gr ammo, and had never had an issue. I was casually shooting it one afternoon, and on about the fifth round of the outing, it felt like a grenade exploded in my hands. The bottom metal (plastic) was destroyed. It blew plastic shrapnel in every direction, destroyed the magazine and set off rounds in the magazine, blowing pieces of the magazine 50' in every direction. I was pretty lucky to have not been injured in all reality. There was something lodged in the barrel, approximately halfway between breach and bore. I assume it was a bullet, but I sent it to them like it was to determine what happened. When I called them and told them that the rifle exploded in my hands, I did notice that they showed no alarm, and didn't even want to know what or how it had happened, which led me to believe that this might not have been the first time it had happened. It seemed like it was an issue that they were aware of..

Attachments

• 20210112_145826.jpg
    20210112_145826.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210112_145809.jpg
    20210112_145809.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210112_145851.jpg
    20210112_145851.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210112_145847.jpg
    20210112_145847.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210112_150008.jpg
    20210112_150008.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210112_150012.jpg
    20210112_150012.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210112_145916.jpg
    20210112_145916.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 87

I bought this rifle about March 2020. I had been in love with it. One of the most accurate rifles I'd ever owned. I had only ever used factory hornady 15.5 gr ammo, and had never had an issue. I was casually shooting it one afternoon, and on about the fifth round of the outing, it felt like a grenade exploded in my hands. The bottom metal (plastic) was destroyed. It blew plastic shrapnel in every direction, destroyed the magazine and set off rounds in the magazine, blowing pieces of the magazine 50' in every direction. I was pretty lucky to have not been injured in all reality. There was something lodged in the barrel, approximately halfway between breach and bore. I assume it was a bullet, but I sent it to them like it was to determine what happened. When I called them and told them that the rifle exploded in my hands, I did notice that they showed no alarm, and didn't even want to know what or how it had happened, which led me to believe that this might not have been the first time it had happened. It seemed like it was an issue that they were aware of..
Like others posted, search for all Tikka, Beretta and Sako forums. Post your story. Someone might have more experience dealing with them. Also, they might respond faster because I am sure they monitor the sites

I had a Tikka T1X blow apart in my hands back in December. I called Beretta, the parent company of Tikka, and they quickly sent me a shipping label and promised to get it taken care of for me. I shipped the rifle out in early January and waited. I figured things might run a little slow due to the China flu, but it's almost August and they haven't done anything. I called them 2 weeks ago yesterday and the man I spoke with told me that they had turned my case over to their legal department in Febuary and that was all they could tell me. Needless to say the legal department hasn't contacted me in that 6 months, he refused to give me a phone number to said legal department, and would only agree to pass my information to his supervisor, and stated that there would be no guarantee that he would return my phone call. So basically they have been sitting on my rifle since January with no intention of repairing it, or returning it, and won't even speak to me about it. Do I have any options? What can I do? I honestly don't know where to turn. I just want my repaired rifle back, or my money if they don't want to fix it. I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this before? Thanks fellas
Too bad that this is happening to you. The company should back up their product. Once it went to their legal dept you are basically screwed. They have the rifle and you don't, if you try any legal action, especially if you were injured, that rifle is sure to be missing forever.
They should have a the least given you a new rifle or what you paid for it, but then they are accepting responsibility for the defective rifle. If you get an attorney it will most likely cost you more than new rifle and you may get nothing. if you incurred a serious injury it would be different. Attorneys would be lining up at your door to take on the case.
I would just purchase a new rifle and maybe some day they will give you the price of the rifle. make sure you keep all documentation including the sale receipt. I had a similar problem, but the rifle didn't blow up. It was a defective barrel and with every shot the groups grew. It was a model 70 25WSSM. This was at the time Browning bought Winchester. Took me 6 month to get payment. Browning would not give me the rifle back (said it was a safety issue), and would not replace it, would only offer me a "A" Bolt which I didn't want. I had to provide the sales receipt. I lost TAX, Shipping, FFL costs. They only gave me their dealer price for the rifle so I lost a few hundred.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

A very similar thing happened to me with my Ruger.
Sounds like you had an obstruction in the barrel and a squib on round 4 would be suspect or did you clean after round 4. Do you still have your target to verify your holes since you know it was catastrophic failure on round 5?

A very similar thing happened to me with my Ruger.
Sounds like you had an obstruction in the barrel and a squib on round 4 would be suspect or did you clean after round 4. Do you still have your target to verify your holes since you know it was catastrophic failure on round 5?
None of that. I shot about 5 consecutive rounds at a steel gong hanging 150y from my back porch. I cannot swear that it was the 5th shot, may have been the 4th or even the 6th. As far as a squib goes, I doubt it. I would have noticed the report since that round has a dramatic and sharp report. I've dealt with squib rounds many times in my army career. Also, if there was a bullet lodged in the barrel, the bolt should not have locked closed without substantial effort. Furthermore, in the event of an obstruction, the pressure should not have been directed into the magazine. If they had called me and said: "hey man, there are 2 bullets lodged in this barrel", I would have been real amiable. That would put some blame on me. I wouldn't dispute it, if that was the case, but I seriously doubt it.

Sorry to hear this HeCould and glad you're ok. This is a bummer of a situation. Guessing the reason it's now with their legal dept is that they afraid of you sueing, but who knows. Any chances hornady might get pulled into this deal too? I agree it's probably gonna cost you mord to fight than the gun is worth but then again I'm a matter of principle kinda guy, some of these companies do what the can get away with.

Isn't this - in essence - theft? The gun blew up, you sent it to them for correction (repair or replacement) & now they won't talk to you. They've stolen your firearm at this point. How long does it take to send a check or a replacement?

I agree with @whirlwindjml that you should send a demand letter to Tikka (return rifle in repaired condition or an equivalent value replacement) or you'll be filing a police report & notifying the BATF for theft.

Heck, I don't know. Some lawyer is reading all this, laughing @ us laymen trying to figure out how to get you help while they remain silent. Frustrating.

I will say I'm very glad you still have your sight & function of all body parts & your injuries were (relatively) minor. Seems like it could have been a lot worse. Sometimes our guardian angels truly bless us.

I hope you figure out how to get your money back or a new gun.

Sorry to hear this HeCould and glad you're ok. This is a bummer of a situation. Guessing the reason it's now with their legal dept is that they afraid of you sueing, but who knows. Any chances hornady might get pulled into this deal too? I agree it's probably gonna cost you mord to fight than the gun is worth but then again I'm a matter of principle kinda guy, some of these companies do what the can get away with.
I told the guy on the phone last week that if they were worried about me suing, then they should have had their legal department reach me at any time in the last 6 months and I would sign a waiver or whatever they wanted me to, because I just wanted my gun back. I'll sign a release of liability or whatever they want if they will fix my gun. I've never personally sued anyone in my life, and have no interest in doing so. I just want my little accurate rifle back in working order. I hate corporations.

The pic you uploaded of the cases being split is exactly what I was talking about . Hornady ended up buying over 2000 rounds back from my dad. Years back . I'd seen the recall notice in outdoor life magazine , mentioned it to my dad and we looked at some of the cases and sure enough they'd split like that . It wasn't too long after that Remington was recall their guns chambered in 17 hmr also

The pic you uploaded of the cases being split is exactly what I was talking about . Hornady ended up buying over 2000 rounds back from my dad. Years back . I'd seen the recall notice in outdoor life magazine , mentioned it to my dad and we looked at some of the cases and sure enough they'd split like that . It wasn't too long after that Remington was recall their guns chambered in 17 hmr also
That's very interesting. I sent that casing in with the rifle and all of the pieces. I figured I'd hand them everything associated with the incident so they could have everything necessary to determine the problem. But, if the case ruptured upon firing, I could see it failing to produce enough pressure to push the bullet all the way through the barrel. I'm still not sure why the backpressure would be directed into the magazine, but weird things happen when pressure is confined. Thank you for that information.