HELP! What meat grinder??

JaoeyP

I need help navigating my way through the meat grinders on the market. I kill a couple whitetails a year and want to start making my own sausage, snack sticks, and ground meat. I also want to grind some pork to make my own sausage links and scrapple. I have experience making this stuff, but I've always used someone else's meat grinder. I would think a 1/2-1HP unit would be sufficient but are there other considerations? Cabela's carries to 1/2HP units, one is $179, the other $349- is the screw, blade, and plate that much better on the $349 unit? Should I pony up and get a 1HP unit? Probably won't do more than 50-75 pounds total, but if it's worth it I'm okay with spending a little extra. Other brands? LEM?

I have been using my LEM big bite 3/4 horse grinder for long time, and I use it a lot, at least once a month and have never had an issue. I make quite a bit of summer sausage and snack sticks and make my own breakfast sausage in 25lb batches. The smaller units under 300 dollars will work for a while but I do not think they will last, if you grind a deer or two or an elk every year you want a 1/2 or larger grinder. Spend the money once.

Last edited:
I use a Cabelas/Weston 1hp Commercial Grade the most. Only a couple deer and an elk a year is the normal use. It is easily twice what I "need", and I have a thing about minimum or "well it worked good enough". I have used some 1/2hp LEM, Cabelas/Weston Commercial, and they are more than able to handle it. I have also used some junk $100 stuff and the frustration can be over the top. Just used LEM at my neighbors to grind up 70lb of sausage last week. The best thing I ever got was a foot control (Amazon 20 bucks now) for 10 bucks or so years ago and it still works perfect.

The 3/4 HP Carnivore from Cabela's is a great home unit for the amounts you're talking. The cool pak cooler sleeve and ease of cleaning make it a perfect kitchen model.
Buy a 7-10 lb capacity stuffer for doing brats and meat sticks,

I've been through the cheap grinder scenario , never again . I built this one . I probably have about $200 - $250 in it . it's a # 32 hand grinder that is also built to be motor driven . I put a 1 HP motor on it from harbor freight . figured out the needed pully size , and put it together . this thing will really grind . I use the end from a baseball bat for the pusher . I have the Lem stainless steel sausage stuffer tube and plate . I grind my burger right into the round freezer bags . the grinder has went through a few improvements over the years , it's about perfect now .

my advice is , buy one with a big throat , or you will have to chunk the meat up small enough to fit . buy one with enough HP , or meat that's a little frozen will stall it out .

Attachments

• PB030854.JPG
    PB030854.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PB030855.JPG
    PB030855.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 79
  • PB030856.JPG
    PB030856.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 82
  • PB030858.JPG
    PB030858.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PB030859.JPG
    PB030859.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
The 3/4 HP Carnivore from Cabela's is a great home unit for the amounts you're talking. The cool pak cooler sleeve and ease of cleaning make it a perfect kitchen model.
Buy a 7-10 lb capacity stuffer for doing brats and meat sticks,
Exactly what I have used for the last several years without a hitch at all