Help! What can I do with this?

Mark Brendemuehl

Ok fellas... Here is the deal. I have an old Ruger M77 in 6mm. I bought that rifle nearly 28 years ago when I was a kid. Since I have a Pair of Tikkas, a Weatherby and a Bushmaster, all of which are better shooting rifles, I never shoot the old Ruger. But, when I did, even with crappy optics and ammo that a 12 year old would buy and could afford, it shot pretty well. I am tired of it collecting dust. I want to shoot it again.
What can I do to modernize this thing? I want something like a McMillan stock (adjustable comb) blah blah blah.
I dont want to spend a ton of money if the rifle isnt going to be capable of shooting somewhat close to what I can do with all the rifles above, all of which shoot outstanding. Can I do anything to improve the shooting on this thing, the looks, the functionability? I am not worried about optics for it. Just what I can do with it, and what it would realistically cost, and if the cost would even be worth it?????
Any ideas are welcome, but, I am new to customizing rifles, so if you can, be specific as to what it would cost, and what I should expect the customization to do. And, like I said, if it just isnt worth the money to screw with, cool, just say so. The rifle will go to one of my kids at some point, so its not like it is going anywhere. I just want it to do something besides collect dust.
Thanks!
Mark

"Any ideas are welcome" I say sell it and buy a Remington -700 :D:D

My dad (not I) is a die hard ole style ruger m-77 fan, he has several . He puts timney triggers on them and it works real nice after that. I think a gunsmith on this site has customized a ruger 77 and he had great results with it after some upgrades I believe it was center shot rifles I think he goes by coyboy anyway his nuimber is (715)-884-2121 . He is a great guy to talk to .

BigBuck

Thanks fellas. Keep them coming! I have thought long and hard about selling it... I just can't. I have way to many fond memories, and it's treated me right.
By the way, my next gun will probably be a Rem 700... we will see.
Mark

I would replace the trigger and glass bed the stock and put some good glass on it get some good match bullets and work up a load that would shoot. For the price of a McMillian stock you would be well on your way to that new Rem 700.

I would replace the trigger and glass bed the stock and put some good glass on it get some good match bullets and work up a load that would shoot. For the price of a McMillian stock you would be well on your way to that new Rem 700.

1+ Glass bed the action, new trigger and glass. Then work up a load. If you are willing there is an article on the homepage on bedding the action. So you can do that yourself. install a new trigger all for under $200 plus your glass.

I had a Mcmillan put on mine had it cerakoted coyote tan and a timmney.. Its a 22-250. cost was around 800.00 not worth it but it also had personal value... It was my first centerfire rifle... it shoots one hole at 100 yards 3 shot groups when I hold still. I forgot the scope... VX-3 6.5-20 LR another 700 $$$. If I were you I would put a new barrel on it if its shot out. Most boutique barrel makers do factory contours. Lilja has them in stock. From my experience old thum tang style rugers shot great.

Thanks fellas. I appreciate it. You are right, that ol gun did shoot very well, despite a poor selection of factory loads at the time and cheap glass.
I have a VXIII on both of my Tikkas, and would likely put another one on this... I just wanted to see if it was worth all the fuss? Thanks again guys.
Maybe I will bed it myself and give it a try. Would make for a neat project for a rifle with a ton of memories and some nice deer under her.
Mark

+1.

Fitch

Things you should do with your rifle in order to improve its accuracy potential....

1. Tune your trigger to 2.5lbs ~$60. If you opt to replace the trigger with a Timney or Rifle Basix that would move the cost to +$100

2. Pillar and glass bed the action (I assume you have a walnut stock) ~$150

3. Recrown the barrel ~$75

4. Lap locking lugs ~$50

These are about the prices I have paid when having each of these jobs done separately. Often a gunsmith will cut you a deal if you have them do it all at one time. Kevin Cram (a gunsmith on this board) will do all this work for $250.

I talk the talk and walk the walk......

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

My brother in law handed me his first rifle to fix up, a older M77 in 7mm Mag. He said the accuracy just ran out and I offered to look at it before he sold it. The finish was trashed from 25 years of hard hunting. The stock had been bedded in the early 80's and the exterior was sanded and polyurethaned. Good Leupold glass but well scratched tube.

First thing I found was the bedding material went soft. It was like scraping old latex paint off of a bucket, that soft. There's the accuracy issue. Rebedded it with Marine Tex.

The stock just look trashed so I covered the checkering with textured Marine Tex. Just masked the stock, iced on the epoxy and did the texturing. Instructions are available elsewhere. Same effect on most of the trendy "sniper" style stocks. Works great, takes only an hour and very durable.

Adjusted the factory trigger to 2.5 lbs.

Sandblasted the metal, including the scope (not something for everyone to do) and coated all in Duracoat coyote Tan (Arizona). Camoed the stock.

Recrowned the muzzle.

I spent maybe $60 in materials on the rifle. It shot great when done and he has a backup rifle for his hunts now.

DSC03276.jpg

If you're not familiar with customizing this is the perfect opportunity to work on a rifle without much risk. Marine Tex or other epoxy kits cost $20-35 and will be enough to do a few rifles. You can buy a muzzle chamfering kits from brownells with the cutter, pilot in one caliber and handle for around $60. the price of one crowning job will buy the tools to do it for the rest of your life, just but additional pilots for each caliber for around $20. If you decide later to shorten a barrel you can buy the facing tool for about $40 too. My whole set cost me around $100 and I have cut/crowned maybe 40 barrels so far.

My brother in law handed me his first rifle to fix up, a older M77 in 7mm Mag. He said the accuracy just ran out and I offered to look at it before he sold it. The finish was trashed from 25 years of hard hunting. The stock had been bedded in the early 80's and the exterior was sanded and polyurethaned. Good Leupold glass but well scratched tube.

First thing I found was the bedding material went soft. It was like scraping old latex paint off of a bucket, that soft. There's the accuracy issue. Rebedded it with Marine Tex.

The stock just look trashed so I covered the checkering with textured Marine Tex. Just masked the stock, iced on the epoxy and did the texturing. Instructions are available elsewhere. Same effect on most of the trendy "sniper" style stocks. Works great, takes only an hour and very durable.

Adjusted the factory trigger to 2.5 lbs.

Sandblasted the metal, including the scope (not something for everyone to do) and coated all in Duracoat coyote Tan (Arizona). Camoed the stock.

Recrowned the muzzle.

I spent maybe $60 in materials on the rifle. It shot great when done and he has a backup rifle for his hunts now.

DSC03276.jpg

If you're not familiar with customizing this is the perfect opportunity to work on a rifle without much risk. Marine Tex or other epoxy kits cost $20-35 and will be enough to do a few rifles. You can buy a muzzle chamfering kits from brownells with the cutter, pilot in one caliber and handle for around $60. the price of one crowning job will buy the tools to do it for the rest of your life, just but additional pilots for each caliber for around $20. If you decide later to shorten a barrel you can buy the facing tool for about $40 too. My whole set cost me around $100 and I have cut/crowned maybe 40 barrels so far.

How did you keep the duracoat from getting in the engraved areas?

How did you keep the duracoat from getting in the engraved areas?

I didn't. There is black Duracoat inletted into the lettering. After the base coat is CURED, brush on the black into the lettering with a small artists brush, then wipe off the surface with a damp rag wet with acetone or laquer thinner. Shallow lettering doesn't respond well but normal deep lettering works quite well.

Ralfus- Outstanding information. Thank you for putting that on there. I am not sure I am up to doing it personally, but at least I know some options that can be done. Maybe a good summer project before the snow flies.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.