Help Wanted! (choosing a rifle caliber)

C1ay

Hello: My name is Clay and I am from Alabama.
I developed an interest in long range hunting and stumbled across the sight during researching the subject online. I'll admit, I have read a lot of threads since I found and joined the sight; I just never joined in until now. What really prompted me to post is I am ready to buy my first rifle for LR and would like some input as to which caliber to start with. I am primarily going to hunt deer, hogs & coyotes. Yet I do have aspirations of going Bear Hunting some day. I have killed black bears with my bow, but would like to try something bigger with my future rifle. Anyone have some suggestions? I going to start with out of the box rifle. Either a Remington Sendero ii or a Savage 111 LRH although I am leaning towards the Remington.

Deer, hog, coyote and bear.
Just starting out.

Everyone needs at least one 308 Winchester. I'd vote for the Savage 111 LRH in 308. To really get into long range shooting I'd also recommend reloading equipment.

Plus one for the 308 11 LRH I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and love it shoots everything you can feed it under moa.

I have a sav 111 in 7mmrem mag and love it. For an out of the box rifle it is great. 2 of my freinds shoot rem 700's in 7mm rem mag and my rifle is just as accurate as theirs at 1/2 the price.
I put a mercury recoil suppressor in the butt a Burris full feild II scope on it and adjusted the trigger to 3 pounds. It covers anything from 100 grain for gopher to 175 grain for moose, in other words there is nothing in north america that this caliber wont touch. For an all around first out of the box you cant loose.
Start reloading and have fun no matter what you choose

To be absolutley honest I've been leaning towards the Savage 111 LRH in a 300 win mag. Is there any advantage the 7 MM Rem Mag or the 308 Win would have over a 300 win mag. As to reloading I plan to, just need to get equipped for it. Any advise as to reloading equipment would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with a 300 Win Mag. Good prices on store bought ammo too. 7mm Rem Mag would work just fine too.

Reloading tip. Buy a kit, any kit and get started. You will figure it out quickly. Don't know any shooters that started reloading and hate it. Long Range Shooting means practice, lots of rounds downrange. It will make you a better shooter.

I have the origingal remington sendero in 7mm rem mag and Its my favorite and most accurate rifle. I dont have any experience with the savage long range hunter, but I do have a savage model 12 22-250 and its a great rifle to. I think you will be happy either of the rifles you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.