Help w/Rifle Buy/Build

cowboyarcher

Hey all,

I't been a while since I looked at the market really closely, but I'm daydreaming about another rig. I've settled on 300 Win Mag to keep ammo costs down and availability up. I'd like to find something in the 8lb range with AICS mags, a good vertical grip stock (traditional or chassis). , and of course MOA or better accuracy. I've looked at the $2k-ish price range and see the Seekins Havak and the Christensen MPR, or maybe a Bergara in a lighter stock. Are there any other factory rifles I should be looking at? Would I be better to build? If the latter, what components and rough pricing should I anticipate?

Thanks for any leads!

You'll be hard pressed to have a good rifle built for less than $2500-3000. Even at that, you'll be limited to a Remington 700 or other factory action. I would look at the rifles from Seekins and Fierce. They're around your price range and I've heard good things about them.

Hey all,

I't been a while since I looked at the market really closely, but I'm daydreaming about another rig. I've settled on 300 Win Mag to keep ammo costs down and availability up. I'd like to find something in the 8lb range with AICS mags, a good vertical grip stock (traditional or chassis). , and of course MOA or better accuracy. I've looked at the $2k-ish price range and see the Seekins Havak and the Christensen MPR, or maybe a Bergara in a lighter stock. Are there any other factory rifles I should be looking at? Would I be better to build? If the latter, what components and rough pricing should I anticipate?

Thanks for any leads!

don't know alot about them but the components they use are nice.

If you want a lightweight chassis style 300wm, build it. The factory chassis rigs are all heavy aluminum, but if you go custom you are looking at a $5500 rifle. If you have the ability and the tools, you can build the same custom rifle for just shy of $3k.

I had mesa precision do a 300wm build this year for me, the rifle is as follows:
26" proof sendero lite barrel
summit ti long action
xlr element 3.0 magnesium chassis: https://xlrindustries.com/products/element_4-0_magnesium_chassis
hawkins precision rings

Total weight is 8.3lbs with scope/rings, bipod, sling, and five rounds in the mag. Without bullets, bipod, sling or scope/rings it weights about 6.1lbs.

Unless you move to an ultralight stock or a shorter barrel (defeats the purpose of a magnum), this setup will be hard to beat. However, the price of the components is hard on the wallet. If you can find a good deal on a barreled action you like, and are willing to wait for a backorder xlr element, it is worth it though.

quick edit on this... I literally bought mine seven months ago, and I cannot believe how the prices have gone up. This one might cost you closer to the low 3k range. Sorry about that.
20210621_154954.jpg

Last edited:
If you want a lightweight chassis style 300wm, build it. The factory chassis rigs are all heavy aluminum, but if you go custom you are looking at a $5500 rifle. If you have the ability and the tools, you can build the same custom rifle for just shy of $3k.

I had mesa precision do a 300wm build this year for me, the rifle is as follows:
summit ti long action
xlr element 3.0 magnesium chassis: https://xlrindustries.com/products/element_4-0_magnesium_chassis
hawkins precision rings

Total weight is 8.3lbs with scope/rings, bipod, sling, and five rounds in the mag. Without bullets, bipod, sling or scope/rings it weights about 6.1lbs.

Unless you move to an ultralight stock or a shorter barrel (defeats the purpose of a magnum), this setup will be hard to beat. However, the price of the components is hard on the wallet. If you can find a good deal on a barreled action you like, and are willing to wait for a backorder xlr element, it is worth it though.

quick edit on this... I literally bought mine seven months ago, and I cannot believe how the prices have gone up. This one might cost you closer to the low 3k range. Sorry about that.
View attachment 297417
This is helpful info. I wasn't aware of the Element Chassis, but that and a prefit Savage barrel would put well under $2k and leave room for the cost of an action. It'd allow me to spread the costs out some going this way too!

Hey all,

Thanks for any leads!
Ditch christianson, barrel replacement has been happening on new rifles left and right.

Get yourself a CVA Cascade in 300 Win mag...you will never look back. You can always spend more money, but if you have $600 - $700 to spend and want a great rifle in this caliber, go to Sportsman's Warehouse and you can thank me later...I find it interesting and entertaining that so many "experts" on this forum know so much and in fact, seem to know so little...they don't hesitate to voice their opinions, and that is where the entertainment begins.
Who is claiming to be an expert? The ones that voice their opinions usually learn something by talking up. By the way, the CVA does not have a AICS magazine as requested by the OP.

Last edited:

summit ti long action
hawkins precision rings

View attachment 297417
That's a gorgeous rig! Thanks for sharing the pic

don't know alot about them but the components they use are nice.
Alamo seems legit. Haven't heard of them before myself.