Help w/Bino Decision!

TrpD345

I am in the market for a new pair of binoculars. I am pretty set on the Leupold line. Most likely the Olympic ones. I realize that Swaro or Leica is top of the line, but I can't justify that much money. I have used a pair of Pentax 8X24 for about 12 years and I'm pleased with them. I just want something that is a little brighter and better in low light. I am considering the Leupold Olympics in either 8X42 or 10X50. Most of my hunting is from a stand. Some of the fields that I hunt offer viewing up to 500 yds. with some looking over cut overs. Which power do you recommend? Should I get the 10X since I already have the 8X24's? Which will be brighter in low light, the 10X50 or 8X42 or will they be about the same? Please give me the pro's and con's of each. I am not interested in Nikon's as I had a very bad experiance with their customer service witha Red Dot scope, so they are out of the question!

What about the Steiner binoculars? The Predator series have a light-gathering coating, and they are competitively priced with the Leupold. I am using the 8x30 Military Marine, 1) because they were a gift, 2) super clear and "Set it and Forget it" focus, 3) can't afford Swaro's. Sounds like what you are looking for on the last two points.

You owe it to yourself to go to a Sporting Goods store ane look throught a couple pairs.

I would not discount Pentax's current line. I believe that they are very good glass for the money. I have spent considerable time looking through my cousins 10x42 DCF WP's and have been impressed. He bought them mail order but I have looked through them side by side with comperable leica's and swaro's, and while I won't suggest that they are superior, for just over a third of the cost you lose very little preformance. The DCF WP line has since been replaced with the more expensive DCF SP line. I haven't tried these out although I have read that they are good.

Something to consider when looking for binocular evaluations is bird watching pages. Unlike long range hunters, bino's are a bird watchers main piece of gear, so they devote considerable thought to them. I know that they have held both Pentax's and Nikons in high regard when price is factored in.

I'll agree with zingdingo. I have the DCF WP from Pentax. Very nice, a lot of bang for your buck. I don't feel at a disadvantage to any other binos and they have compared nicely even to Swaro owners in the field. If Swaros are better it is by very little and for triple the cost.
As zingdingo said, check the bird watching pages, that is how I came to buy mine.
My only regret is that they are not made in the USA. If that were my only concern I would probably go with Burris as all parts and labor take place here I believe. There may be others I don't know about.
I did not know the WP was replaced. Don't know what to tell you about that. Happy hunting.

just bite the bullet and get the best and the last pair you will ever spend money on. swar. 10x42 el's. if you don't deserve it ! who does?

I would have to agree with szabo... but if you just cant do it then I would go with sewwhat89. I have owned many pairs of Swaro's, Leica's and have been buying some low cost binos to try out to see if any of them are worth the lower cost's and have only found one set. All of the others have been sold on Ebite. I did keep one small pair of 12x30 Alaskas from cabelas that are just outstanding quality for what they are and what they cost. They are my shirt pocket binos for archery hunting.

Good luck with your search.

You are looking at excellent binoculars

I have owned the Olympic 8X42 binoculars and they performed very well, especially considering the cost. I also know how it is to be unable to purchase a $1500 pair of binoculars. I recently upgraded to The Meopta Meostar, but really did enjoy the Olympics. I also scratched the objective lense on my Olympics through my own negligence (belly crawled for an antelope with the lense caps off ... woops). Leupold was reasonable on repair costs and quick to return shipment. If you are spending most of your time in the stand go ahead and get the bulkier 10X50's, but the 8X42's have sufficient magnification for 500 yard examination of deer.

I would without of doubt check out http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/LEUPOL...-Porro-Prism-Binoculars-53696.html?Attribs=39

Pentax isn't going to be better in low light and bright. Pentax are good quality don't get me wrong. I wouldn't go that route.

As far as saving for Swaro EL i would go that route but, if your not welling to wait and want something now then its out of the question.

Leupold Mesa are good in low light situations there designed for that reason. I would go with 10x50 binoculars also, you wider magnification level.

Another option is http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Vortex-Binoculars-10x50-Vulture-Hunting-VTR-5010.html?Attribs=64 - check this product out too compare products.

I don't know guys. Established brands are great. You get the name and perceived or real quality, but in the end, who wants to have the same thing as everyone else. I have nothing against Leupold, but c'mon - where is originality? I agree with the member above - Vortex has done some wonderful things with design cues and color choices. Their product looks attractive and from what I have heard made at the same factory as Nikon's product.

On a separate note - has anyone heard anything about Yukon compact binocular line? I am familiar with their night vision, but what about their day time optics?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Yukon compact binoculars are great, most people don't realize Yukon is more then night vision. Yukon binoculars are fit for alot of occasions. The thing that makes Yukon i believe is there prices and there pride and willingness to give people top of the line optics at great prices.

Check these out - http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Yukon-Binoculars.html

Last edited:
If I may chime in, I bought a set of Leica 8x50 a year and a half ago from a guy on another forum. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do was send him a MO for 750 bones. However they are the last binos I will ever buy.

Buy the best you can afford, or if I may suggest a pro to help. Contact www.eagleoptics.com

They will help you choose the optics you need and will help you.

Mike

Another tip, go shopping for optics without your wallet. Just look to see what YOU like. And get them to let you take them outside.

I'm not sure what sort of cash you want to part with, but I'd seriously look at trying to find a good secondhand set of zeiss, swar or leica. It killed me when I first parted with the cash to buy a well used pair of 8 x 30 classic zeiss. One year later I sold them for more than I paid which allowed me to afford a new 10 x 42 trinovid leica, which I got my money back on then traded up to 10 x 42 geovid leica. Over 3 years I ended up with the best. You never loose money on this gear if you buy right. Just thought you may be able to get the best with thinking outside the box ?

You will never look back. You cant shoot them if you cant see them. Without doubt the most important piece of gear in the pack.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.