Help turning my 700 SPS 30.06

Justjeff

I recently got a 30.06 I got it as a deer slayer and it does the job. I'm looking to turn it into something better.
I usually hang out with the gas guys, and now I got a new Bushmaster 450 as my deer rifle here in San Diego. I would like to begin to learn a few thing's from the bolt guys. So this 700 is going to be my donor gun and I'm kinda going to have to piece it here in there. when I get the money. I'm new to this have been reading your fantastic forum for about. A month now.

What I would like out of the rifle:

Good fit
No doubt in the rifle out to 700yds
No superwamadyne load creation in case I had to buy a factory load.

Any assistance would be great. Thanks

I turned my Rem 700 30/06 into a 7mm mag. I have used it to take deer out to 600 yds so far.
I had the bolt face opened up, sako style extractor installed, action trued up to make everything square and a No5 contour 26" barrel fitted.
I love it. It has less recoil than the 30/06, but it is heavier.

If you don't want to go to a magnum then look at the 280AI or the 6.5/284, although I don't know if you can get factory loads for these two.

Stu.

I turned my Rem 700 30/06 into a 7mm mag. I have used it to take deer out to 600 yds so far.
I had the bolt face opened up, sako style extractor installed, action trued up to make everything square and a No5 contour 26" barrel fitted.
I love it. It has less recoil than the 30/06, but it is heavier.

If you don't want to go to a magnum then look at the 280AI or the 6.5/284, although I don't know if you can get factory loads for these two.

Stu.

Stu,

Yes, Nosler makes them ...

Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, and Reloading Data.

Ed

balistically the 30-06 is fine. the remington 700 is fine. adjust the trigger . put a good scope on it. if that doesnt do it. add a heavier krieger barrel

I really like the 6.5-.284 for wood chucks out to 1000 plus yards, deer out to 800 yards and paper punching at whatever range. It's max range on deer for me is 800 yards due to being just about 900 ft/lbs at that distance. This would make a very fine deer cartridge. Not much recoil, good out to the distance you mentioned, HSM

sniperstore

and I believe nosler makes factory ammo if needed, but handloads with 140g A-Max works very well on deer and chucks. Not much would have to be done to change your 30-06 into a 6.5-.284. Blueprint the action, install a Holland recoil lug, New Barrel (Kreiger, Brux, ect.). If the rifle is in a plastic factory stock replace it with a fiberglass or laminate one and have it pillar bedded and the barrel free floated. You can re-use the factory trigger for now to save some $$ but I'd have a jewel put in it maybe later if not during the build process. Your only looking at about $750 invested to have a new barrel installed, have the action blueprinted, trigger adjusted and a holland lug. Stock prices vary greatly depending on what you want and like.

I really like the 6.5-.284 for wood chucks out to 1000 plus yards, deer out to 800 yards and paper punching at whatever range. It's max range on deer for me is 800 yards due to being just about 900 ft/lbs at that distance. This would make a very fine deer cartridge. Not much recoil, good out to the distance you mentioned, HSM

sniperstore

and I believe nosler makes factory ammo if needed, but handloads with 140g A-Max works very well on deer and chucks. Not much would have to be done to change your 30-06 into a 6.5-.284. Blueprint the action, install a Holland recoil lug, New Barrel (Kreiger, Brux, ect.). If the rifle is in a plastic factory stock replace it with a fiberglass or laminate one and have it pillar bedded and the barrel free floated. You can re-use the factory trigger for now to save some $$ but I'd have a jewel put in it maybe later if not during the build process. Your only looking at about $750 invested to have a new barrel installed, have the action blueprinted, trigger adjusted and a holland lug. Stock prices vary greatly depending on what you want and like.

Thanks a ton I found gunsmith here in San Diego is that round anything like the 6.5 Grendel ? What is the "Going rate" for blue printing?

Last edited:
The 6.5 Grendel is alot smaller than the 6.5-.284. Here's a link that shows some cartridge drawings and you can see the differences.

Cartridge Diagrams

I charge $150 to blueprint a Remington action. My blueprinting method is done with everything based off of the bolt bore running concentric. I use GTR tooling for this and every surface is single point re-cut. The receiver face, internal locking lugs are cut perfectly perpendicular to the bolt bore. The receiver threads are single point re-cut true to the axial alignment of the bolt bore and all taper and out of roundness is removed. The bolt itself is indicated in true in a Labounty fixture and the bolt lugs and bolt face are single point re-cut perfectly perpendicular to the bolt body. There are some out there that claim to "blueprint" an action when all they are really doing is cutting the receiver face and lapping the lugs. Usually making the action worse than what it was to begin with. Before you have your action blueprinted by someone, make sure they really know how to do it so your not having to pay to have it done right a second time.

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.