Help to ID a Savage Rifle Model

ohiogeorge

I picked up a Savage single shot rifle for a build, and I am trying to ID which model it is.
It's in synthetic stock- no pillars, blued long reciever, with 26" SS fluted barrel with 9 twist which has model 116 stamped on it,pre acu-trigger, and it's chambered in 223 Remington.
I called Savage and from the serial # they tell me it was made in 1993, and the barrel is the heavy sporter contour (.730 at muzzle). They did say early Weather Worriers had blued actions, but don't recall 223 offering.
That's all they know,as their records don't go back that far.
I have looked around, and closest this I see is the 116FSS, but that's a repeater.
Any ideas as to the exact model?
I am looking for a 25 cal barrel at least 26" with simmiliar contour and a 473 bolt head/face for the project I want to do (a 25/270 ICL RAM).
I may also do something on the order of a 22/243, and would need a barrel 26" or more with 7-8 twist and dies.
Thanks,
George

Last edited:
I picked up a Savage single shot rifle for a build, and I am trying to ID which model it is.
It's in synthetic stock- no pillars, blued long reciever, with 26" SS fluted barrel with 9 twist which has model 116 stamped on it,pre acu-trigger, and it's chambered in 223 Remington.
I called Savage and from the serial # they tell me it was made in 1993, and the barrel is the heavy sporter contour (.730 at muzzle). They did say early Weather Worriers had blued actions, but don't recall 223 offering.
That's all they know,as their records don't go back that far.
I have looked around, and closest this I see is the 116FSS, but that's a repeater.
Any ideas as to the exact model?
I am looking for a 25 cal barrel at least 26" with simmiliar contour and a 473 bolt head/face for the project I want to do (a 25/270 ICL RAM).
I may also do something on the order of a 22/243, and would need a barrel 26" or more with 7-8 twist and dies.
Thanks,
George

There probably isn't an exact model designation. Weird Savages can come from their custom shop, or a special run to big box retailers. Thanks to the Savage design, it's entirely possible that your gun was assembled from parts. Either at the factory or by some subsequent owner.

I've never seen a 116 with a blue action. But I have seen quite a few Blue action/Stainless barreled 112's.

If I had to put a model on it, I'd call it a 116FSS-S. The -S is commonly used to designate the single shot.

You'll also need a new front baffle, since the one you have probably has the long legged one for the .223.

Thanks for the response.
The idea that it was done by a preivous owner came to my mind also, and I talked with the rep at Savage about that idea being how it was made.
What ever it is, it will fill my build needs.
Thanks for the baffel info also, I'm new with the Savage rifles- third one I ever owned (and first I'm going to work over).
I have owend/own many Rem. 700's over the years, and felt it's time to try the Savage line for a build.
George

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.