help to decide to change bullets in 7mm mag

goosepit

hope this is right spot to put this topic!! I have browning abolt 26" bbl in 7mm mag. I shoot at moment 139 sst hornady wuth velocity o 3325 fps with groups at 200 yards 1/2" to worst day 3/4". I like the performance of bullet my furthest shot with this load is with doe antelope at 750 yards with complete pass through, I always shoot at big game in boiler room. was thinking of 162 bthp hornady, have testloaded and got velocity of 3100 fps avg at 10 yards from bbl. groups were right at 1 inch with best group but probably get that even tighter with a little work at range and loading bench. I have hard time changing what already is great load, but like the energy the 162 gives the 7mm mag and less drift with higher bc. If used this bullet how did it perform on game at close to long ways out there, sst 139 has been real good to me on game point blank to the 750 yard shot.

thanks for your time

In my 7mm mag I use either the 162 amax or 168 berger for shots past 300 yds. Both bullets work very well at this range. For the close shots I use the 160 accubond.

Stu.

The 160 accubond has been the most accurate hunting bullet I've found for my 7RM. The 162Amax is equally accurate, but thinner jacketed. These 2 bullets are about all that is needed for big game hunting with the 7RM.

AJ

hope this is right spot to put this topic!! I have browning abolt 26" bbl in 7mm mag. I shoot at moment 139 sst hornady wuth velocity o 3325 fps with groups at 200 yards 1/2" to worst day 3/4". I like the performance of bullet my furthest shot with this load is with doe antelope at 750 yards with complete pass through, I always shoot at big game in boiler room. was thinking of 162 bthp hornady, have testloaded and got velocity of 3100 fps avg at 10 yards from bbl. groups were right at 1 inch with best group but probably get that even tighter with a little work at range and loading bench. I have hard time changing what already is great load, but like the energy the 162 gives the 7mm mag and less drift with higher bc. If used this bullet how did it perform on game at close to long ways out there, sst 139 has been real good to me on game point blank to the 750 yard shot.

thanks for your time
I'd go to the 154gr interbond, SST, or the 162gr SST unless you are planning solely on a 750yds plus bullet. The interlocks and interbonds have simply never let me down so I'm pretty high on them.

AJ and Kiwi are offering good advice with 160Accubond, 162Amax and 168VLD. Why mess with the Hornady BTHP when (as far as I know) there is little information as to their performance on game?

Personally, I shoot the 168vld in my 280 at 2780fps and it is a hammer on deer from up close to waaaay over there.

Making the decision to change to the heavier bullet is a good one especially when your shots will exceed 600yards.

I agree with wildrose if you like what the sst does stick with it but just jump up to the 162 grainers. I myself shoot 162amax and 168 matrix out of all my 7mm's but I havent shot anything inside of 200 yards in years simply because of the terrain I live in now.

Jason

thanks for some good advice,think I will jump up to maybe 154 interbond,sst,162sst or 168 vld and try some 160 grain noslers thanks for your advice and see which one I can get some tight groups on paper at 200 yards,my thougts are if can get tight groups at that distance then the longer shots will fall in there place,if have right adjustments in scope wind ect and shooter does there part.

thanks again just wanted some thought on heavier weight bullets so have little more energy out there at longer distances. this long range shooting is adictive. was getting bored with normal hunting distances 0- 300 yards. but I new when was extending the shots that my normal loads of 120 and 139 grain bulletts was not enough energy on long shot just from the way that animals were reacting to shots. they were dead to rights but they went alot further after shots even when shots wer placed perfectly. and shock value was not there when field dressed them in field damage was not there like 300 yard shots and closer lungs were destroyed at those ditances. but longer shots there was whole lot less damage in boiler room with light bulletts at the longer shots past 400 yard mark.

might even build new long range rifle? not for sure but I have the bug now and who knows might jump right up to one of the big 30's or 338's. by the posts on here looks to be exciting shooting world with all new caliber wildcats that seem to be capable of some long shots with some massive damage on game.

thanks again for your time to answer ?'s

Last edited:
try loading up some nosler ballistic tips there awsome in wound damage without passthru. safer or others being hit by passthrus and less tracking thell usually drop in there tracks. good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.