Help..Throat length / Freebore / bullet jump

With the bullets you chosen the Bergers will shoot better closer to the lands and the LRAB and the LRX typically need a good bit of jump, I would consider that. I always just set up a couple dummy cases then send to ADG and when they get back to me with measurements based on the throat diameter and lead angle then I choose a freebore to cut.

I agree 100% on the jump difference between ABLR and Berger. Which is kinda causing me more of an issue because if I set the jump on the Berger's to be close to lands the ABLR's won't even chamber and if I set the jump for the ABLR's to be a long jump the Berger's will be a mile from the lands. Seems like lots of people are using a freebore of .195 to .220 on the XM length 7 SAUM's maybe I need to just do that and then worry about bullets / seating depth / and jump later when it's finished.

Big n Greens reamer is set up well for the 175 elite or 180 VLd if my math is correct. .230 touchs the lands with a 175 elite and .015 of with the 180 VLD.

Same as post #14 and # 17.
175 touch and 180 is .015 off.
Keep in mind there could be some difference between lots but those are off Bergers dimension chart.

You will be way past the case nk- shoulder junction on any of the bullets you mention at 3.1. Seating at the bearing surface boatil junction.
According to bergers dimension with there 180 VLD at boatail bearing surface- nk- shoulder junction on brass your OAL is 2.987 with the 175 Elite hunter its 3.02.
I know the 180 VLD isn't the hybrid but thats all they listed in there dimensions, I couldn't imagine it much longer than the 175 elite
3.02 or there abouts.

I forgot to add in about .012 to the freebore for lead angle which comes to 3.032 and .299

Push up against lands would give you massive pressure.

I'll see if I can find a pic of Weatherby Mk V freebore. This looks like some freebore.

Attachments

• WIN_20220131_22_42_25_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220131_22_42_25_Pro.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 50
Well I do have several. And currently putting a XM length together with a saami chambered proof prefit.

With a saami chamber a 180 hybrid will have a CBTO of 2.284" touching lands and around 3.018" for a COAL. I have one rifle that has a freebore of 0.190 and the 180's touch at 2.354"CBTO and 3.088" COAL.

Honestly I have just started using saami chambered prefits because I have no issue getting the 180's to the 3,000' mark. The 175's to the 3,030' mark. So no need of longer freebore and I can load them longer time wise because of throat erosion. And I generally find the best length right just shy of the lands.

Greatest cartridge in my book. You picked a good one.

Last edited: