HELP! Stiff bolt issue

ishootkittens

Hey guys, A couple of months ago I made a thread about my bat action's bolt being stiff. Most of the advice I got was to put a trigger in it and it will smooth out. While the bolt LIFT is VERY smooth now that I installed a trigger and sat it in a chassis system. Here is my problem though... It is kind of hard to explain but when I close the bolt (on an empty chamber) it becomes pretty sticky about half way down as if it has a "half cock" or something. Is this normal and should I just work the bolt a few hundred times to smooth it out, or should I re-install the trigger? Any advice would be great. After I get past that "half cock" stickiness, it is very smooth, and the bolt LIFT is VERY smooth even after the bolt is all the way down.

Thanks guys for any advice.

I would look at the lugs on the bolt and your cocking piece. Only time I had a tight bolt I used some flitz on the lugs and sat infront of the tv working the bolt for a good while. My new 700 308 is that way also. I'm getting the flitz out tonite

Bump!!

Mine does same thing since I put it in my XLR element chassis. Mines a savage SA (older bolt spacing cannot remember the measurement). Was never smooth to start with.

Thanks for the responses guys, I took the action out of the chassis and im convinced it has to do with the trigger. The installation could not be any easier. Just place the two provided pins in the holes. Done. But I could tell a big difference in the bolt lift (in a good way) but dropping the bolt became harder and stickier. I guess ill just tinker with it

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts