Help select yote call Seq. for Alamosa, CO area hunt 4th>7th Oct.

T3-OleMan

Hunting SOLO 1st rifle Elk Weminuche Wilderness area and going a week early to Alamosa, CO area to hunt YOTES {target practice}on the Southern Front Range and use my new FoxPro Fury 2 hoping to test my EXEL Optimum Power setting spread sheet for Zeiss Victory Diavari FL 4-16 x 50 Rapid Z 800 on my 338WM. Last year I test fired at 402 Yds. out there and was right on, so I am looking for 500 to 800 Yd shots & even 900 and 1,000Yd hold overs of the 800yd crosshair.gun)

What will make or brake the hunt will be the choice of calls / seq. and length of same & silence. If you can advise me or know any one that could advise me please post here or send me a Pvt Message.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If I can't find a rancher that I can help, I'll hunt BLM & USFS land in the foothills.

A Good Yote Is A Dead Yote!!!:D

Thanks

***** moved from LRS

Best advice I ever received about calling is that the animals in distress do not practice those sounds.
If unsuccessful do something different on the next stand.
Even if successful do it different on the next stand.
Try not to plan the fun out of it,,,just my opinion

I use a foxpro most of the time. While I am by no means an expert, I seem to do well most consistently with the following:

Prairie dog distress-
Call for about 1 minute followed by about 2-3 minutes of silence. I start the first sequence at low volume then slowly increase the volume with each sequence. I like to call for a total of at least 20 minutes to 30min max per stand.

I don't time the sequence exactly and try to make it random but that's more or less my procedure. I probably average about 1 in 5 sets to call in a dog but I think that is pretty good for this area where they get a fair amount of hunting pressure.
I'm in Idaho and we don't have prairie dogs in my area, but that doesn't seem to matter. I also like the typical rabbit distress, coyote pup distress, and occassionally woodpecker distress with essentially the same calling sequences. Scouting will help a lot. Good luck.

that time of year you can probably clean up on uneducated coyotes. I live a couple of hours from Alamosa and also use a FoxPro. I use jackrabbit most of the time. Be aware that bears and lions are not out of the question. Never called in a bear but have friends who have. called in a lion though. if you can get permission try the transition areas from farm to sage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.