HELP problem with 6X47

strictlyRUM

Ok, I will try and see if I can get the info out in a way someone can understand. I put together a 6 lapua today. The no go dont go and the go gauge is just fine. I had sized the brass months ago with a new set of forster dies. When fired the brass shows signs of case head sepparation. Like it was reamed to deep or to much headspace. When I got home I rechecked my go no go gauges. Didnt screw up there. The neck shoulder junction on the fired brass looks to have mooved forward .010-.015 and the angle looks to have changed to a softer or less sharp angle. I measured as many measurements as I can think of on them before and after. I get them same measurements at the shoulder body juction on both. Length is almost unchanged. Body diameter is almost the same. It just looks like maybe I sized them too far when necking down to 6 from 6.5. Is it possible to push the neck shoulder junction back too far? Wouldnt the die prevent this from happening? I had a 6-284 years ago and dont remember ever having to watch for anything like that. Everything I have read about this case is resize and go. If anyone has any imput or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing I can think that is left is bad reamer or die set. I dont really know a way of checking without a cast and print. Any other measurements or ways to measure what I have to help me figure it out? Help please?

101_0080.jpg

Jason

Last edited:
Help

Jason

By your own words( sized cases months ago) I would reverse your process. Since I have had more bad sizing dies than reamers lets presume the appearance of that weatherby type shoulder is indication that you have put the shoulder back to far. That in itself created what you refer to as head space. Screw the die body out of the press so that nothing is touching the shoulder and you are neck sizing only. Watch and make sure the shoulder on the brass is not rounding. Lets presume your chamber is fine so under the above method lets fire form the virgin un-molested brass in your new chamber and see if the problem still exists.

First however I would take measurements from your reamer and compare to a spec sheet.You might even put it on a comperator?

Start there, but a cast is simple,easy and tells the whole story

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.