Not to muddy the waters, but since you're looking at a .30 magnum- have you considered the "new" .300 PRC?

Hey, if anyone is still out there. I conducted a little more research on the 300 PRC. I am still leaning 300 WSM, but I am curious to learn a bit more about the 300 PRC. What is the O.A.L loaded with.... lets say Hornady's 212? Does the slight shortening of the case alleviate mag feed issues due to length with the long, heavies (vs standard 300 win mag)? Or is the only "advantage" the modern design of the case and chamber?

Thanks in Advance Everyone,

CTL

Last edited:
Hey, if anyone is still out there. I conducted a little more research on the 300 PRC. I am still leaning 300 WSM, but I am curious to learn a bit more about the 300 PRC. What is the O.A.L loaded with.... lets say Hornady's 212? Does the slight shortening of the case alleviate mag feed issues due to length with the long, heavies (vs standard 300 win mag)? Or is the only "advantage" the modern design of the case and chamber?

Thanks in Advance Everyone,

CTL
I believe the factory Hornady precision hunter ammo for the PRC is loaded with the 212. It will fit in any "long" Savage action. Elkaholic has a Sherman improved version of the PRC that gives it a bit more performance.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/300-prc-sherman-improved.211162/

you don't need a barrel vice but a bench vice is helpful just need action wrench and nut wrench. if you use a nut from patriot valley then you wont even need a nut wrench just a crescent wrench
put action wrench in bench vice, spin off nut pipe wrench works on smooth nut spin off barrel and replace be reversing order

Can anyone shoot me some suggestions for what action wrench to purchase? Appears to me there are a few different types.

Thanks,

CTL

Northland Shooters Supply has a good one for a good price. It will take the smooth barrel nut off as well. I would suggest a barrel vise and some powdered rosin. The barrel vise makes holding the barreled action easy while you set the headspace.

I picked up a new 7mm WSM 10 years ago for a donor. Pulled the barrel and installed a custom barrel. Then bought a used 325 WSM and put the new factory 7mm barrel from the first one on it for a hunting rifle. Also bought a 300 WSM BVVS savage. All have been large shank control round feed. I think you would be better suited to start with a WSM donor. Join up at Savage Shooters. Contact Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. Good people to work with, both the guys on the site & Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.