Have you assembled or have access to the tools you will need? You will need a barrel nut wrench, some way to vice the barrel. Not saying you need a barrel vice but the old and the new barrel are going to have to be vised, you may or may not need an action wrench depending on how much locktite from the scope screw holes and other junk got in the barrel threads and you will need headspace gauges for your cartridge selection. When you order or buy your barrel make sure you can get a good not overly priced stock or the one you have as it may need inletting. I've found that each manufactures contours vary a little bit'. I would go ahead and replace the barrel nut with one that has been trued. I generally replace the recoil lug to one that is ground true and a bit more square. Both these items can be had very reasonably but will pay big dividends later. Under no circumstance use an AXIS as a donor. As far as later stock options either center feed or stagger feed will not cause you issues but if you intend to use a detachable box magazine or even if you want to keep that option open definitely go with a center feed. The receivers are milled out differently than a stagger feed. I don't know how much you know about SAVAGE rifles that's why I mention all this. If you already know all this then I apologize.

turk8r1,

My plan was to purchase a wrench, but rent the headspace gauges. I am not using an AXIS as a donor, however it wasn't in my plans to replace the barrel nut and the recoil lug. However, you sound like you know what you are talking about so I will install an aftermarket nut and lug. Regarding the vice, I have some options... I can use a vice and outfit a jig for the barrel or I may buy, rent, or build a barrel vice... Haven't really chiseled that plan in concrete yet.

Random question I forgot to ask earlier. How do you take the barrel off of the actions on the Savage rifles that have the smooth barrel nut? Do you just use a pipe wrench to get it off then replace it with a grooved barrel nut? I found a decent donor rifle but it had the smooth nut.

No apologies required, any and all advice is welcomed... I'm here to learn!

CTL

turk8r1,

My plan was to purchase a wrench, but rent the headspace gauges. I am not using an AXIS as a donor, however it wasn't in my plans to replace the barrel nut and the recoil lug. However, you sound like you know what you are talking about so I will install an aftermarket nut and lug. Regarding the vice, I have some options... I can use a vice and outfit a jig for the barrel or I may buy, rent, or build a barrel vice... Haven't really chiseled that plan in concrete yet.

Random question I forgot to ask earlier. How do you take the barrel off of the actions on the Savage rifles that have the smooth barrel nut? Do you just use a pipe wrench to get it off then replace it with a grooved barrel nut? I found a decent donor rifle but it had the smooth nut.

No apologies required, any and all advice is welcomed... I'm here to learn!

CTL

The Turk is right, you will want to replace your recoil lug and get a grooved barrel nut. These parts are precision and can make a difference. I buy mine from Northland shooters supply.
To get the smooth nut off you I put an action wrench into my action and spin the action away from the barrel. Then i use my hands to spin the smooth nut off. Sometimes they are a bit tight even still but you can wrap tape around the nut and use channel locks. Tape protects the nut and gives you something to grip to since you won't need very much pressure with the action already being off.
Make sure to get a donor action with metal, bottom metal. I have been fighting a plastic one on a build and it's been a pain in the &&&.
While swapping a boltface on a Savage is easy I would be sure to start with a magnum action for your magnum build so you can save on the purchase of a boltface.
I am on Savage build nine and they are easy. So if you have questions ask. I can help and there are others on here that know Savage builds better than me. I can point them out if you want in a PM. Anyway good luck.

you don't need a barrel vice but a bench vice is helpful just need action wrench and nut wrench. if you use a nut from patriot valley then you wont even need a nut wrench just a crescent wrench
put action wrench in bench vice, spin off nut pipe wrench works on smooth nut spin off barrel and replace be reversing order

you don't need a barrel vice but a bench vice is helpful just need action wrench and nut wrench. if you use a nut from patriot valley then you wont even need a nut wrench just a crescent wrench
put action wrench in bench vice, spin off nut pipe wrench works on smooth nut spin off barrel and replace be reversing order

This setup would be cheaper and require less tools. I just went and looked at he nut you mentioned and I like it, plus it will save him a tool. Makes sense to me. Good advice.

The gunsmith that was going to do the same for me in Remington told me not to bother with anything that was not already in 300 wsm because of the feed issues. He said could be done but not worth it with Remington. The problem is they are all built on short actions now and the long action in 300 wsm are hard to find. I am not sure how this translates to savages. I took his advice and bought a wsm with mag and building it to my specs

I feel bad. Y'all are taking time out of your day to help me with awesome advice, but I can't return the favor... Buy low sell high I guess.

Thanks Everyone!
CTL

I even had my action wrench milled so I don't even have to take off the scope rails. I have did so many I can change and head space in about 10 minutes

I even had my action wrench milled so I don't even have to take off the scope rails. I have did so many I can change and head space in about 10 minutes
My buddy and I timed it last time we did it and it took 20 minutes. Good way to go it seems.

I know I'm gonna get screamed at but if you don't plan to use the smooth nut you can just wrap it in masking tape and use a pipe wrench. I bought the Savage wrench set from either Midway or Brownell's. It came with the wrench for the smooth nut. If you go that route you will have to shim the inside if it to get it tight enough to get it loose. I use a pipe wrench. You are gonna have so much fun. Not a joke.

Some Aftermarket parts are very interesting with savage. More options for short actions stocks. First thing I do is make a list of what you would want rifle to be in the end. Then go make sure you can get everything you want in that action, bolt spacing, bolt release. You can do a small or large shank 300wsm but will have to decide which barrel you want to go with most companies only sell one or the other. I have a savage 16 large shank 300wsm with the drop plate I can run 2.96" coal

I'm
Guys,

Y'all are giving me such great information, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

bigngreen:

You referenced setting up some 300's with 215's that run about 2900 fps. Based on your O.A.L I assume you were referring to a 300 WSM? Or was it a SAUM?

Also, "I would use a magnum case center feed rifle...." Are you saying that maybe the 300 WSM cartridges would feed from the 7mm rifle I am looking at purchasing?

CTL

Yes I use the 300 WSMs on med length actions.
Ya, use a magnum as a doner then you have the least to change, a center feed may need the lips tweeked, a staggerfeed will likely need a little more tuning.

Not to muddy the waters, but since you're looking at a .30 magnum- have you considered the "new" .300 PRC?

I had not considered a 300 PRC, honestly I was only vaguely aware of it. I researched it a bit today, looks like it would check all of my boxes. I'm curious, I started reading all of the articles regarding how it works better with the long, big heavies... but when I looked at the specs I was surprised to see that it really isn't that much shorter than the 300 Win Mag. I like that it isn't a wildcat, and I can go buy off the shelf ammo if need be, but it appeared to me the O.A.L. really doesn't strike me as being "game changer short," regarding mag feed issues in comparison to the 300 win mag. I bet I'm wrong... can someone explain why?

CTL

Being you already have a WSM, is there a possibility that you can try some dummy loads in your donor before you purchase it to check the possible feed problems?
Depending on what it is of coarse. It might surprise you. I did a little tweaking on a magnum magazine and got it to feed 243! If you start with a 7mm or 300 winmag it might load and feed the short mag just fine.
Just don't push them all the way in by accident or you will be cussing me out...lol
Once you do 1 you might get the bug and it will become an obsession. I have put together over 20 and probably changed close to 100 barrels.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge over on the Savage Shooters forum. Use the search function or join up and ask.
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts