Help please. Identify Savage action

BrentM

I have a weird deal. I bought an action from a forum member and it was sold as a long action. It has a 3 screw trigger, flat back, standard bolt face, long bolt, long action 2 screw spacing......but the cut out for the magazine/follower is absolutely for sure a short action cut. My 308 metal and follower fit the cut out. Compared to the LA actions I have it seems like a bizarre combo and I am not sure what to do with it.

The serial number is F series. Can anyone help identify this action and let me know the thought behind the SA cut out with the LA bolt throw.

Just found this:

From 1988 to 1997 all Savage bolt-action rifles were made on long-actions. Those chambered for short-action cartridges have a shorter magazine feed port cut to work with the existing short-action magazine boxes from previous years. As such, even though the action is technically a long action you can not mount a long-action cartridge magazine to it without having the feed port lengthened

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.