Help please~ I am new to reloading~ .243Win

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I am about to start reloading, I have all the gear and am ready to go.

I will be loading to get the best possible accuracy to enable me to hit varmints out to 600+yds.

I am using Norma brass that I have had as factory ammo which has already been fired once only, it has been cleaned till its like new inside and out with vinegar. I do not intend to full length size the cases but I do intend to use the lee trimmers to make all cases the same length for uniformity. I intend to use federal primers.

I have been given a fair bit of advice and I intend to buy some H414, N140, or H4350 powder and load up from there.

I intend load 87grain V-Max bullets and set them initially at 10thou off the lands and work back from there taking measurements from a bullet head mounted in a split shell casing to set the start datum point.

I was going to start from the minimum powder weights and make 5 bullets in each increasing .5 grain powder weight up to the max powder weight and assess the resulting groups for accuracy.

If I wasn't happy with the results I intend to set the bullet heads an additional 20thou back from the lands and repeat the steps above.

Am I about right with the powders, bullets settings and approach for this rifle ???

Have I missed anything important ???

You can waste a lot of ammo trying to find an accurate load. The easiest way that I have found to find the sweet spot for a given powder is to shoot a ladder test. Do a search here on LRH and you will find an article on how to load for and shoot the ladder. I generally do this with two different powders and my chosen bullet.

Don't forget to try some Varget with the 87 gr. V-Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.