Help picking out scope

cb4128

I am trying to decide on the scope to put on my custo built 270 weatherby. I am torn between the following models: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50, Zeiss HD5 5-25x50, and Swarovski z5 5-25x52.

Wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with any or all of these scopes. My gun is 7.4 lbs as it sits.

Looking to shoot 700-800 yards max and plan on dialing my shots.

Please limit your responses to these scopes only.

Thanks for the help

If you want to dial in your shots you should to stick to the NF. Both Zeiss and Swaro are known for different kinds of Mildot reticles which are preferred by hunters who want to shoot fast within distances to 500m/ 600yards when you don't have time for dialing.

I had a 5.5-22x NXS in the recent past. Excellent scope....rugged internals that are very repeatable and decent glass. I've not experienced the other two scopes you have listed....mainly because I'm interested in having more internal adjustment range that a 30mm or 34mm main tube offers versus a 1".

You didn't say if weight is a really big issue for you. If so.....the Swaro is the obvious winner at 17.5 ozs. If you can stand an additional 9 ozs of weight over the Swaro.....the Zeiss gives you more internal adjustment.....for your longer shots. The NXS is heavy because it's built to withstand punishment and continue to work flawlessly. If you need to have something that will hold up....NF won't let you down.

I think you'd see a slight difference with the glass if you did a side by side comparison. The HD glass in the Swaro and Zeiss would have the edge in clarity, color rendition and so on. The NXS does not come with HD glass.... you would need to step up to the NightForce ATACR 5-25X to have HD glass and thus a direct comparison with the Swaro and Zeiss. The NXS has nice glass.....but isn't quite like an HD version. Might be a consideration if you plan on spending a fair amount of time behind the scope. I find I have less eye fatigue when I'm behind my Premier or Kahles versus an NXS or my Sightron S III's.

One last thing....I can attest to a warranty / customer service experience with NightForce. I would rank them right near the top of any manufacturer here. I've had experiences with Premier Heritage, NF, Leupold, Bushnell and Burris. I would rank them highest to lowest in the order I listed them. Not sure what Swaro and Zeiss have.....but if the scope had to be sent to Europe for any warranty work...that might also be a consideration.

Good Luck,

Wayne

At 7.4 lbs this was built as a stalker. Stick with the theme(light weight). I love my Zeiss on my carry rifles. Nxs on my heavier rifles.I can't help you when comparing the Swaro. However, I do not think there is a bad choice here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.