Help pic the bullet for my son's Elk Hunt.

Longtine88

My son and I have a hunt in New Mexico for elk in a couple of weeks. I'll be hunting with a 300 win mag 215 hybrids and my son will be hunting with a 28 nosler. The question is this hunt with the 195 EOL's 3,030 fps confirmed 0.6 moa at 1000 yards or use 180 Hybrid @ 3,175fps confirmed 0.5 moa at 1000 yards. Basically comes down to bullet performance on game in a nut shell. I personally am leaning towards the 180's. Or I could go with a 7 SAUM and reduce the recoil down using the 180 Hybrid. I have a heck of a load going 2,950 fps with it.

How old is your son? If he's an adult or can ha for the recoil and shoot the gun good I would do the 195s.

How old is your son? If he's an adult or can ha for the recoil and shoot the gun good I would do the 195s.
He's 18. This is actually his birthday present. Every year since he was 10 I take him hunting somewhere. One year it's deer, next year it's goats , this year it's elk. He can handle the nosler pretty well. Heck that saum feels so good shooting I may end up hunting with it lol.

Sierra 180g GameKings for me. Nice groups. The cold bore shot is the only one that matters for the LONG shots, under 200yds they are all good.

195's and don't look back. The 28Nosler and the 195 seems like they were made for each other and are the perfect balance. I have killed many animals with them out past 1000 yards and they performed great.

Last week I killed a big Utah bull with my 28 Nosler. I was using the 177g Hammer Hunter and at 350 yards and he pancaked in his tracks.

Attachments

• Attachment (1).jpg
    Attachment (1).jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 98