Help, Parts for WSM build.

droptine

LRH Team Member
I picked up my PTG bld action yesterday. Not sure if I am going to stay with the 270 WSM barrel or swap for a 300 WSM. That part I can handle. Its the other parts I need help locating. I've done quite a few Savage, Model 70's and Mausers but not to much with Remingtons.

Bolt stop - I think PTG may have bolt stops but they are not SS and may not come with pins. I would prefer SS bolt stop if possible. I'd really like to have external but getting action milled and parts maybe a little more costly than I prefer.

Bottom metal - would prefer SS, but could have coated whatever I find. Didn't find to many places that had in stock.

Follow and Spring - Have not googled much, may have to find used.

Trigger - I have been waiting on a Shilen for a good while, they are waiting SS safety piece. May be another 3-5 months. I may have to look at other trigger brands/whats in stock.

I have PTG fluted bolt and shroud. I didn't look to see if it had a firing pin.........might be a good idea to look !!!!

Stock - Quite a few to choose from.

Not sure if I am leaving anything out, if I am jump in let me know. If anybody has comments on where I should look to source I may not have found, or know of.

Thanks, Billy

MagnumManiac

I use PT&G bottom metal, I buy them unfinished and finish them by either soda blasting or hand polishing to match the receiver finish. I also run Jewell triggers on my own rifles, but hear good things about Trigger Tech and I am going to be trying one out soon.
Don’t know where you will get a bolt stop.
Follower and spring will have to be sourced from somewhere other than Remington. I can’t even get ejector parts at the present time.
What recoil lug do you have?
Stocks, personal choice.
That’s about it.

Cheers.

droptine

LRH Team Member
I use PT&G bottom metal, I buy them unfinished and finish them by either soda blasting or hand polishing to match the receiver finish. I also run Jewell triggers on my own rifles, but hear good things about Trigger Tech and I am going to be trying one out soon.
Don’t know where you will get a bolt stop.
Follower and spring will have to be sourced from somewhere other than Remington. I can’t even get ejector parts at the present time.
What recoil lug do you have?
Stocks, personal choice.
That’s about it.

Cheers.
I don’t have a clue on the recoil lug.

MagnumManiac

I don’t have a clue on the recoil lug.
Because I build switch barrel rifles predominantly, I buy PT&G .250”/.300” dual pinned tapered recoil lugs. The taper is on the sides and aids in not marring your bedding compound when disassembling a tight bedded action.
They also do non-tapered in the same thickness, but I think the tapered is the way to go.

Cheers.

KMLampson

I have a Rem 700 in 270 WSM, never fed well from the factory BDL mag box, adjusted the spring, and tried different followers, pretty common issue from what I understand. Changed it over to a center feed mag setup, problem solved. Just something to consider as you buy parts.

mbse20

Paducah Shooter Supply in Paducah KY had a lot of misc remington parts. I ordered some misc stuff for a 783 build last spring. Believe they said they were a remington warranty repair facility or some such thing. They were very helpful and friendly. Had a fast response time as well.

crystalgayleguy

LRH Team Member